Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Netgear n600 issues

Last response: in Networking
Share
April 2, 2012 3:05:32 PM

Hello,
I have Comcast cable and I am using Negear 600 Dual Band router. I am unable to get dynamic ip address from the router so I set static ip’s. When I turn off DHCP on the router I cannot get on the internet. Can someone shed some light on this problem?

More about : netgear n600 issues

April 2, 2012 7:30:40 PM

Are you saying that the router is not giving you any DHCP addresses or something else? Have you tried power-cycling? What IPs are you getting on the computers? Did you set them to manual IPs or on DHCP?
m
0
l
April 3, 2012 12:27:49 PM

king_52 said:
Hello,
I have Comcast cable and I am using Negear 600 Dual Band router. I am unable to get dynamic ip address from the router so I set static ip’s. When I turn off DHCP on the router I cannot get on the internet. Can someone shed some light on this problem?



Yes I tried power-cycling. When I set the computers to manual IPs i am getting IP in the range of 192.168.100.2 - 192.168.100.100 and I cannot get to the internet. This IP range is from the Comcast router.

Netgear range when DHCP is turned on is set to start from 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.200.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 3, 2012 2:13:05 PM

Did not clarify the issue here, when the PCs are set to DHCP, you have no IPs on the computers when you check with the ipconfig command?

Or is the issue only when you try to set the computers to use manual? You know that you need to also set the DNS and WINS server as well, and the Gateway, not just the IP. Plus the IPs need to be in the range that the router can see, they need to be on the same subnet. If you want to chance the IP to 192.168.100.x, you need to change the router to that same address range and use it as 192.168.100.1
m
0
l
April 3, 2012 2:21:25 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Did not clarify the issue here, when the PCs are set to DHCP, you have no IPs on the computers when you check with the ipconfig command?

Or is the issue only when you try to set the computers to use manual? You know that you need to also set the DNS and WINS server as well, and the Gateway, not just the IP.



Sorry for not being clear. When the PCs are set to DHCP I get IP's from the Comcast modem not the Netgear router, but I cannot get to the internet.
m
0
l
April 3, 2012 2:26:30 PM

king_52 said:
Sorry for not being clear. When the PCs are set to DHCP I get IP's from the Comcast modem not the Netgear router, but I cannot get to the internet.


That does not make sense unless you turned off DHCP in the router, or you have things wired funny. How is everything connected?

A modem (just a modem not a combination modem/router) would only give out one IP, and it would not be in the 192.x.x.x range.
m
0
l
April 3, 2012 5:29:27 PM

My Cable modem is Arris DOCSIS 3.0 Cable/Telephone modem model TM722G. From the LAN port of the Arris I connect to the Internet (WAN) Ethernet port of my Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Router model WNDR3400. The computers are connected to the LAN ports of the Netgear modem.


m
0
l
April 3, 2012 5:38:21 PM

king_52 said:
My Cable modem is Arris DOCSIS 3.0 Cable/Telephone modem model TM722G. From the LAN port of the Arris I connect to the Internet (WAN) Ethernet port of my Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Router model WNDR3400. The computers are connected to the LAN ports of the Netgear modem.


OK that sounds right. So when all is set to DHCP, it does not work? What IPs to the computers get when you check? Can you get to the router config and check the DHCP settings? It would tell what what IPs are in use by what device. From what you posted, your static IPs will not work as they are.
m
0
l
April 3, 2012 6:07:37 PM

The computers get IP's in te range of 192.168.100.2 - 100
The ip to get to the Arris setup is 192.168.100.1 - but I cannot change anything in the setup.DHCP is Enabled.

The ip to get to the Netgear is 192.168.1.1

NETGEAR LAN TCP/IP Setup is as follows,
IP Address 192.168.1.1
IP Subnet 255.255.255.0
Rip Direction Both
Rip Version Disabled

USE Router as DHCP is (Yes)

Starting IP Address 192.168.1.200
Ending IP Address 192.168.1.254


******
The IP's 200 - 254 is issued to the wireless devices.. IPAD, IPHONE, AND ITOUCH

m
0
l
April 3, 2012 6:17:53 PM

That also looks right, so the modem will give the WAN IP to the router, the router gives your network the DHCP addresses, all should be working then. If you don't mess with trying to use static IPs, can you get online? Does the WAN port on the Netgear show the proper IP for the ISP?

Still not clear if the issue you are having is only when you try to change from DHCP to the static IPs or if default configuration also does not work.
m
0
l
April 3, 2012 6:49:29 PM

If I don't mess with trying to use static IPs, cannot you get online.

The default configuration does not work so I have to assign static IPs.
m
0
l
April 3, 2012 6:57:42 PM

What's the problem with DHCP though? You need to put in exactly what is going on.

Do your devices not get any DHCP addresses from the Router? Or they do but no internet? Does the Router connect online to get a firmware update? Does a computer connected directly to the modem go online? What IPs are the devices getting when you check? You can't use static IPs unless you enter in the DNS, WINS and Gateway info, but first you need to find out why the setup does not work as it was.

Did this work before?
m
0
l
April 3, 2012 7:53:54 PM

The router is getting IP 98.242.251.94 from the ISP and it never worked before.

I am going to reset the router and start over. I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks for you time......
m
0
l
April 3, 2012 7:56:36 PM

king_52 said:
The router is getting IP 98.242.251.94 from the ISP and it never worked before.

I am going to reset the router and start over. I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks for you time......


That WAN IP also looks correct. Means that if you try to do an internal update to the firmware, it should be able to connect to the web page. It should also have a test you can run to see if it will ping a server. That will get you further in figuring out where the issues is, it narrows it down to the Router to PC connection.
m
0
l
!