Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Researching Gaming Monitor and Need Help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 26, 2013 4:04:21 PM

Hello, everyone.
I’ve been looking for a new monitor. I use my computer primarily for gaming and movies but also do a lot of web surfing and genuine work (mainly with MS. Word). I’d prefer to get a 27-inch monitor, but I’m wary of the pixel density of a 27-inch monitor (at 1080). After researching and researching and researching and MORE researching, all paths seem to lead back to this monitor:
ASUS VG248QE 24-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I welcome everyone’s opinion.

Another monitor I keep stumbling upon is this:
BenQ XL2420T
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(I like the S switch idea.)

I’m strongly inclined toward the Asus. What do you think? Are these good monitors? Worth the price? I appreciate any knowledge you can share with me.

Thanks.


-------------

i7 3770K OC @ 4.2 / ASRock Extreme 4 Z77 / evga FTW 670 2x-SLI / 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 / 128 GB OCZ Vertex 4 / 2 TB WD Caviar Black / 2 TB Seagate Barracuda / LG 14X Blu-ray R/W / Corsair 1000w PS / AzzA Genesis 9000 full tower / Windows 7 Professional 64
a c 359 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 195 C Monitor
February 26, 2013 5:06:08 PM

I don't really see anything that would justify the higher price for the BenQ so I would also go with the Asus. Don't believe those 12M:1 or 80M:1 contrast ratios, they are really just there for marketing purposes.
m
0
l
February 26, 2013 5:16:20 PM

Yeah that Asus monitor just came out and its a good price. The BenQ has been overpriced for a year but it was the only game in town, so to speak. I'd definitely take the Asus over it now.

You're choosing speed over visual quality when you go with a fast TN panel, but you probably already know that so I think you picked a good one.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 26, 2013 6:16:55 PM

Thanks so much for these replies. Yeah, I know about sacrificing visual quality for speed, and I’ve really struggled with that. I researched a lot of IPS monitors, and I would love to have the accurate colors and beautiful images they produce; but I built a gaming rig, and the only kind of monitor that’s going to fully utilize the power of the rig is a 120Hz+ TN monitor. So, reluctantly, I settled for speed over image quality and viewing angle (which is too bad, because I like to watch movies in in areas that are not directly in front of the screen). Anyway, thanks again.

If anyone has another suggestion for good gaming monitor, I’d like to hear it. My budget is $500.00 or less. (I’ve decided against the ultra-high res 1440 X 2560 27-inch monitors: There are going to be too many occasions when I will need to lower the native resolution and consequently suffer the effects of interpolation.)
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
February 26, 2013 6:43:08 PM

Zip, I'd highly recommend this monitor:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Note it is a 1920 X 1200 monitor. Believe me, that extra height will do wonders for surfing the web and especially Word. And at that price, $250, it frees up money for a far better graphics card. If you want to run Far Cry/Crysis 3 or Metro 2033, you'll need top quality graphics card(s).

The only downside is the 5ms speed. Frankly, it depends on you. Some people don't even notice those high speed panels, others do. I think a monitor like this with powerful graphics card(s) behind it will be great. The one ms speed will not really be useful. It is far faster than a human can comprehend. And the 1ms is more of a sales trick than reality. Believe me, it cannot go from black to white in 1ms. If possible, try out a maxed out system with these fast monitors and see if you can even tell the difference. The 1200 resolution is something you can use and enjoy all the time with any application.
m
0
l
February 26, 2013 6:51:16 PM

that asus monitor is great but it should be 1920x1200 cuz its 24 not 23 which means u will lose some little pixels but u wont see any difference ,good luck
m
0
l
February 26, 2013 7:01:26 PM

Thanks, babernet. The HP looks like a fine monitor, but 60Hz is out of the question. Gotta have 120 +. (I agree completely with the 1200, but I’ve begrudgingly given up trying to find a 120Hz 1920 x 1200 monitor.) The overclocked 3770k and the overclocked 2x SLI 670s are running Crysis 3 at 55-60 fps on extra high. Money now needs to go to a monitor, not a graphics card.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
February 26, 2013 7:18:12 PM

ZippyPeanut said:
Thanks, babernet. The HP looks like a fine monitor, but 60Hz is out of the question. Gotta have 120 +. (I agree completely with the 1200, but I’ve begrudgingly given up trying to find a 120Hz 1920 x 1200 monitor.) The overclocked 3770k and the overclocked 2x SLI 670s are running Crysis 3 at 55-60 fps on extra high. Money now needs to go to a monitor, not a graphics card.

Okay, I didn't realize you already had the graphics cards. However, what good will a high speed monitor do you if you are running at 55-60 Hz? None! To note any difference, you need to be feeding that monitor a good 80+ frames per second. Therefore, to note any difference you will have to turn down the eye candy quite a bit for really fast FPS.

I think you are giving up too much for something so intangible.

m
0
l
February 26, 2013 10:16:50 PM

babernet_1 said:
Okay, I didn't realize you already had the graphics cards. However, what good will a high speed monitor do you if you are running at 55-60 Hz? None! To note any difference, you need to be feeding that monitor a good 80+ frames per second. Therefore, to note any difference you will have to turn down the eye candy quite a bit for really fast FPS.

I think you are giving up too much for something so intangible.



Hi, babernet.

That's 55-60 on ultra. There is no telling what I am getting on high (with Vsync on), since I'm currently limited to a 60Hz monitor. Smooth play is important to me, especially since I have the power to do it but bottlenecked by a 60Hz display.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
February 26, 2013 11:11:34 PM

ZippyPeanut said:
Hi, babernet.

That's 55-60 on ultra. There is no telling what I am getting on high (with Vsync on), since I'm currently limited to a 60Hz monitor. Smooth play is important to me, especially since I have the power to do it but bottlenecked by a 60Hz display.

It's probably too late now, but is microstuttering a problem to you? Even Nvidia's can give some microstuttering. If it is a problem, you'll have to go full bore Nvidia Titan. No dual GPU's, no stuttering.
m
0
l
February 27, 2013 12:50:25 AM

babernet_1 said:
It's probably too late now, but is microstuttering a problem to you? Even Nvidia's can give some microstuttering. If it is a problem, you'll have to go full bore Nvidia Titan. No dual GPU's, no stuttering.


No stuttering at all. Just need a monitor that can handle a higher frame rate. Vsync is working fine at governing too much data entering my 60Hz monitor. All system go, but need higher frequency for a "more perfect" gaming experience.

Solution simple: 120Hz monitor.
m
0
l
!