Using windows 7 key on more than one computer

jonathanclee

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
I bought the Windows 7 upgrade and used the 32 bit to upgrade my laptop. My question is can I now use the same key to upgrade my desktop to the 64 bit version that also came with the upgrade.

No. The license key is good for one install. If it's a retail copy, you can use it to upgrade another (or same) computer if the hard drive dies and needs replaced or you're migrating to a new computer (old one will no longer be used or restored to the old OS).

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Well, if the desktop has Windows 7 32-bit then yes you can use the DISC to REINSTALL the 64-bit version onto your desktop with whatever key you used for the 32-bit (or if that's OEM then you can use the key from the OEM sticker on the desktop). You will, however, lose all your settings unless you back them up first and you will lose all of your current programs. Think of it as a clean install (which is what it is).

jonathanclee

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
ah I see, only legally, so thats why it worked on both. was thinking of selling the 64 bit now since I found out it wont work on my desktop(not set up for 64 bit) but will the key work, legally or not? Or am I asking for the Gates squad to show up at my door?

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

It can install and upgrade, sure, but can both of them be activated simultaneously? The answer is: Legally, no. That is against Microsoft's Licensing Agreement for you to install it on more than one computer per retail license UNLESS you uninstall it from the old one completely first.

OEM's, on the other hand, are bound to that one particular computer for life.

Hi

There is a difference in Windows activation appearing to Work twice and it being legal.
You may get away with it or one will may get a notification that it is a pirate copy

The only exception is the family pack of 3 upgrades to Windows 7 home premium which were ( maybe still) on the market

regards
Mike Barnes

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
It might be fair to note: they give you both discs, 32 and 64-bit, so you can have your choice on which to install based on what kind of computer you own (because they don't know). It doesn't cost them any more to include both, it would cost them a ton more to sell each one individually (packaging for both, maybe not selling more of one than they wanted, etc).

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

You can find these still on Amazon for $150 or so: here

AlienIsGOD

Distinguished
May 3, 2008

You could even go the route I did, using a friends x64 Win 7 DVD with the 32 bit OEM key.