nachodonkey

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Here is my current specs:
Q6700 Quadcore @ 3.0ghz
4gb OXZ DDR2 800 memory
EVGA 680i sli (122-CK-NF68) motherboard
Ultra 600w power supply

I was running a 9800gtx, yesterday I picked up a MSI N550GTX-Ti Cyclone OC GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card for $95 at my local computer shop. Didn't see a huge difference but some. I will be upgrading my system to an intel i5-3570K, of course new motherboard and ram in a couple weeks. The only game I ever play is World of Warcraft.
I have 15 days to return the card to the store for a refund or exchange. They have a radeon 6850 there but it is $175.
Would it be worth the $80 to exchange the 550ti for the 6850?

Thanks!

Solution
G
Well my brother has a Nvidia GTX 550 Ti and has done for a few years, it seems to be able to run most games at high graphics and his has never had a problem, i just got a problem on my computer funnily enough, could be the amd card i have idk yet, but my brothers nvidia has never gone wrong, always fine for most games on high settings, (nothing to insane like crysis though) if youre not gonna be using the card for rly demanding games then i suggest just going for the nvidia 550, my brothers seems to be very reliable with no issues and theres been no driver issues either, i've had bad experiences with some amd cards in the past and the driver catalyst is anoyying at times, nvidia seems the safer bet in my opinion but thats just my...
G

Well my brother has a Nvidia GTX 550 Ti and has done for a few years, it seems to be able to run most games at high graphics and his has never had a problem, i just got a problem on my computer funnily enough, could be the amd card i have idk yet, but my brothers nvidia has never gone wrong, always fine for most games on high settings, (nothing to insane like crysis though) if youre not gonna be using the card for rly demanding games then i suggest just going for the nvidia 550, my brothers seems to be very reliable with no issues and theres been no driver issues either, i've had bad experiences with some amd cards in the past and the driver catalyst is anoyying at times, nvidia seems the safer bet in my opinion but thats just my experience, hope this helps

Solution

frenchbread

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007

Could you elaborate on that? Did your frame rate increase? Were you able to turn the graphics settings up at all?

I have an Asus 550 Ti, while I do not play Wow, I do play SWTOR and my 550 Ti lets me play the game on the highest settings.

nachodonkey

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
After playing around with the settings I was actually able to play Warcraft on Ultimate settings with just turning down a couple settings like shadows and liquid detail. I am playing at 1920x1080 so I am super happy with this. I will put my money toward the new i5, motherboard and ram and I should not have any trouble at all. I appreciate all the input!!! I have been out of the loop with all this for so long, and I research til I went cross eyed lol. I heard good and bad about the 550 ti, but I figured for the $95 I paid for it I couldn't go wrong. Once I get the new cpu, mobo and ram I should be set. Thanks again, set my mind at ease and I can stop debating it over and over in my head! lol Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.