Geforce GTX 670 vs Radeon HD 7970

So here's the thing guys I'm in the market for anew graphics card to replace my Geforce GTX 560 ti superclocked (I'm selling btw so if anyone is interested i want $150 or Best offer, i'll sell it for any amount really so if anyone know a good way to sell let me know).

Here are the two cards i'm intereseted in:

XFX Double D Radeon HD 7970 Black Edition (Core clock runs at 1000mhz its essentially the 7970ghz version but cheaper)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150586

EVGA Geforce GTX 670 FTW Signiture 2 (core clock runs at 1006mhz)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130843

Here's the thing I don't have money to buy two cards for sli/crossfire so single card is the only choice for me.

I plan to play my games on 2 different displays (not at the same time mind you)

Vizio 720p 37" LCD TV Native resolution 1366x768 ( I use this for games I play on my 360 controller)

Samsung LED Monitor 23" Native resolution 1920x1080 (I hope to use this primarily but I haven't recently since some games can't run at 1920x1080 on my old gtx 560 ti *cough* far cry 3 *cough*)

So yeah i'm not not going to play games on a 3 monitor setup nor do i plan to play any of my pc games in the near future above 1920x1080. I also only use my machine for pc gaming and thats it. I'm not a video editor or CAD user or 3D Modeler i'm just an enthusiast pc gamer. Its one of the reason why I opted for my Intel core i5 3570K and not the i7 3770k.

Here's my current Rig:

Intel i5 3570K (stock 3.5ghz)
Corsair Vengence 16gb (4x 4gb) DDR3 1600
Corsair HX 650watt PSU (another reason why i'm not doing sli/crossfire)
2tb HDD 7200rpm Western Digital Black
EVGA Geforce GTX 560 ti (need to sell it)

I know the performance is pretty similar with both so I kinda in a lost here of what to do.

I've been mostly a Nvidia fanboy and haven't been an ATI/AMD user since the old school 9000 series. I love the phsyx features in games (Batman AC and Borderlands 2 are good examples). IF I get AMD i'm worried i'm going to miss out on those features. However I'm a big fan of Skyrim mods and I know LARGE RESOLUTION TEXTURE MODS need more than 2gb of VRAM. The 3GB of GDDR5 is really enticing. With the announcement hat the ps4 will have 8gb GDDR5 ram I have feeling that developers ares going to start asking for more memorry in our games.

I would like to stick with nvidia but is the 3gb of GDDR5 ram worth switching to AMD or should I stay with nvidia?

This is not a thread for people to start getting into amd vs nvidia fights. I just want honest opinions that have to particularly do with my situation nothing more.

Thanks in advance!
12 answers Last reply
More about geforce radeon 7970
  1. BTW I forgot to add that my budget is $400 (or close to that). I can't afford anything above that before taxes. So please dont' tell me to get geforce gtx 690 or amd 7970ghz version. Any other advice of brands would be appreciated.
  2. 7970 all day everyday, unless you into 3D like me!
  3. redeemer said:
    7970 all day everyday, unless you into 3D like me!

Like the way you responded to that, classic!
  4. I can clock mine to 1200 and runs with no issue and that's the reference 7970 with dual-x cooler and still doesn't break the 65 degrees Celsius mark even under full load. So if you aren't into 3D gaming like redeemer stated the 7970 all day every day!
  5. hero1 said:
    Like the way you responded to that, classic!

How is that gorgeous Dell 27"U2713HM of yours doing??
  6. Nice pick on those parts, though 16GB of RAM is overkill - but it's cheap. :P

As for the graphics card, I personally LOVE my 670, but got extremely lucky and got a card that's an amazing overclocker; most won't be so lucky.
  7. Hmmm damn that 7970 is tempting Is the one i want to buy a good model?

Anyone know a good way to sell my gtx 560ti
  8. BTW I hoped you guys noticed that the geforce gtx 670 is overclocked has the same clock speeds of 680
  9. amurorx said:
    Hmmm damn that 7970 is tempting Is the one i want to buy a good model?

Anyone know a good way to sell my gtx 560ti

@ThreadStarter (TS, what I want to call him/her)
    7970 All the time, expect for a sub $350 670. If you're lucky enough to find one, I found one at NCIX US.

To sell the 560 Ti, you can try using any listing/advertising/classified-ing website ebay, craigslist, etc or even the Classified section at tom's hardware forum.
  10. If you're strictly gaming on that PC and not doing any 3D work that uses the CUDA cores, then just stick to the 7970 :)

Plus, you'll get tons of free games for buying an AMD card now.
  11. i'm getting so much conflicting informtion. On this site i hear 7970 on hardocp and guru i hear geforce 670

I dont' know what to do. Neither card are reference cards. The 670 i'm getting has the same clock speeds as a 680 Plus I love physx!

the question I have...if i'm sticking to 1920x1080 does the 3gb on 7970 make much of a difference to the 2gb on 670?
  12. amurorx said:
    i'm getting so much conflicting informtion. On this site i hear 7970 on hardocp and guru i hear geforce 670

I dont' know what to do. Neither card are reference cards. The 670 i'm getting has the same clock speeds as a 680 Plus I love physx!

the question I have...if i'm sticking to 1920x1080 does the 3gb on 7970 make much of a difference to the 2gb on 670?

7970 will be around 7% faster (general performance) in gaming. And what is the reason that you really like PhysX?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Geforce Graphics Product