Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Programs Not Responding

Last response: in Windows 7
February 3, 2010 3:28:04 AM

As i write this my firefox has stopped like 8 times from the time i opened firefox. my programs stop for like a min and then continue like nothing happend. i used avg virus scan and used malwarebytes and spybot search and destroy and no threats are found. i play world of warcraft the game also freezes or use any programs they freeze for less then a minute and then it starts to run again. i can still minimize the application and my mouse moves around. please help

im running windows 7 on an Asus M3A32-MVP DELUXE
AMD Phenom II x4 940
8 gigs of ram
Radeon hd 4890 graphics card

More about : programs responding

February 3, 2010 3:41:00 AM

Have you checked your current running processes (either via Task Manager or a third-party app Process Explorer) to see those who are utilizing high memory and high CPU usage?
Score
February 3, 2010 4:09:41 AM

system svchost.exe is using 171,404k is that alot?
Score
Related resources
a c 209 $ Windows 7
February 3, 2010 6:44:04 AM

If you're using a "green" disk drive then it may be spinning down after a period of inactivity. If programs try to access the drive then they can freeze for several seconds while the drive spins up again.
Score
February 3, 2010 1:53:24 PM

Check all your device drivers, video and motherboard chipset especially.

Score
February 4, 2010 12:52:39 AM

Now i cant get on the computer i get this UNEXPECTED I/O ERROR HAS OCCURRED. it was working fine this morning now i cant get in to it i did system restore and that didn't work. i don't know what to do now..
Score

Best solution

February 4, 2010 2:20:44 PM

Remove all RAM except for one stick. BTW are all 8 gigs same as in two kits of dual channel memory. Not sure but I don't thik that motherboard can run 4 sticks of 1066 RAM.

Then, reset your BIOS to default.
February 4, 2010 2:22:50 PM

More info from Newegg review:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=1...

Ownership: 1 week to 1 month 9/27/2008 1:35:30 PM great board

Pros: This is a very stable board. Will overclock very stable. Asus AMD is one of the most stable systems available being able to use the X-Fis without a hickup vs the striker extreme series that doesn't even support the hi end X-Fis.

Cons: Users that give bad review that don't understand how motherboards work. No motherboard out there will allow you to use a full 1066, if your memory is 1066, using 4 sticks of memory. You will have to down your speed to like 960. This is how all motherboards are made now adays, not only asus. It is unfair to give them a bad review while all motherboards act the same way. If you want full 4gigs @ 1066, use 2 sets of sticks not 4 sticks.
Score
February 4, 2010 9:58:36 PM

hundredislandsboy said:
Remove all RAM except for one stick. BTW are all 8 gigs same as in two kits of dual channel memory. Not sure but I don't thik that motherboard can run 4 sticks of 1066 RAM.

Then, reset your BIOS to default.

this is the kind of memory i have

OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR10664GK

the motherboard runs the memory at around 800 not 1066. so do i remove 2 and leave 2 on there or take out 3 of them and leave 1 stick?
Score
February 5, 2010 3:27:02 AM

Use one stick first. If it's stable, go dual channel with one of the kits.
Score
February 5, 2010 5:16:44 AM

I couldnt figure out how to reset my bios :(  so i just took out 3 sticks of ram and reinstalled windows and installation went good and computer is running. should i add just one more stick or all of them? or should i still reset the bios?
Score
February 5, 2010 5:23:01 AM

Check your manual on how to reset the bios.
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=ESv3v4AmCdP1GdRp

Quote:
i just took out 3 sticks of ram

So you mean you're currently running on 1 dimm only (2gb)?

If that's the case then you're actually running 4 x 2gb dimms of ram? Are those dimms identical to each other?
Score
February 5, 2010 5:25:38 AM

masterjaw said:
Check your manual on how to reset the bios.
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=ESv3v4AmCdP1GdRp

Quote:
i just took out 3 sticks of ram

So you mean you're currently running on 1 dimm only (2gb)?

If that's the case then you're actually running 4 x 2gb dimms of ram? Are those dimms identical to each other?

yes they are all the same but i only have one in right now.
Score
February 5, 2010 5:30:14 AM

hundredislandsboy said:
Use one stick first. If it's stable, go dual channel with one of the kits.

Maybe you should try this. Install another dimm and run both of them in dual channel (see your manual on how to do it with just 2 dimms).
Score
February 5, 2010 5:30:54 AM

One thing you might try if you have a second computer and a CD burner is a lot of anti-virus makers offer free rescue disks:

http://www.techmixer.com/kaspersky-rescue-disk-load-kas...

If it is a virus that should be able to clean it up because it boots from the cd rather than the infected drive.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2010 5:34:37 AM

Have you reset your bios?? still having problems???
Score
February 5, 2010 5:47:54 AM

i just put the other stick and its running says i have 4 gigs of ram.. should i keep putting them all in or just leave it like that.
Score
February 5, 2010 5:49:36 AM

saran008 said:
Have you reset your bios?? still having problems???

no i havent yet. i have the owners manual with me but cant find where it says to reset the bios.. i looked online and some say that just removing the battery would reset it but i havent done that yet
Score
February 5, 2010 6:19:06 AM

^ I've checked your manual and the way to reset bios/cmos is in chapter 2.6 Jumper.

Try running memtest for that current setup. If ok, then try to install the remaining 2 and run memtest again.
Score
February 5, 2010 12:34:07 PM

You don't need to reset your BIOS with a jumper. In the BIOS screen, find the key for loading defaults and you're done. If you still have problems with 4 sticks of RAM, you might have to manually set them to run at 800 MHz instead of 1066, Either that or checkk the voltage your BIOS is providing to your RAM and you might have to manually set that too. In the meanwhile, check your mobo manufacturer forum to see if your RAM is on the approved list.
Score
February 6, 2010 1:43:54 PM

ok i was reset the bios and everythings is running great now.. i just have 2 sticks of ram on the computer atm and just going to leave it like that for right now. thanks to everyone that helped me with my problem
Score
February 6, 2010 1:44:28 PM

Best answer selected by isanabria79.
Score
February 6, 2010 3:20:41 PM

Thanks for picking me as best answer!
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 18, 2010 11:15:18 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!