Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can't increase resolution on main display

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 26, 2013 9:51:11 PM

Hello,
I have a new computer with two screens attached to it. The One screen is a 30 inch Dell 3007WFPHC, and the other is a 24 inch Dell U2410. The U2410 has a maximum reported resultion of 1920x1200, which is the recommended resolution. This is my secondary screen.
The 30 inch screen is my main screen, and has a maximum reported resolution of 2560x1600. However, the resolution is currently 1280x800, which seems to be the recommended resolution, according to Windows 7. As soon as I try to change it to anything above this, the screen will just show coloured lines traveling up and down the screen, but it changes to a lower resolution with no problems.

My graphics card is a AMD Radeon HD 7570 (with driver version 8.911.0.0 installed), which has 1 DVI port, and one HDMI port as well. The 3007 is plugged in with the DVI (and is my main display), and the U2410 is connected through HDMI. (this display has my desktop extended onto it...The 3007 has no HDMI port, so I am stuck with having them plugged in the way they are right now..

Does anybody have any idea why this is happening? It is rather frustrating to have my main screen feel comparatively fuzzy compared to the smaller secondary screen.
Thanks
a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2013 10:17:21 PM

What kind of DVI cable are you using? You need a dual link cable to get the 2560x1600 resolution for the main screen. From what I read it sounds like you're using a standard DVI cable, which isnt capable of the higher resolution which is resulting in your issues.
March 2, 2013 6:16:24 PM

Thanks, that was the problem...
but now I actually have another issue...I have another 30 inch screen that is identical to the first one. I want to hook that one up instead so that both monitors are the same..the only problem is that the screens only have DVI input, and the graphics card only has 1 DVI out and one HDMI out...is there any type of HDMI to DVI-DL adapter or converter that I can use?

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=20751

I found this on NCIX, and I am wondering if it would do the job..
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 3, 2013 3:25:59 AM

If you only have an HDMI and a DVI out port you'll be unable to run two of the 30 inch dells at their native res. HDMI just isnt capable of putting out anything larger than 1920x1200. You'd need either a different GPU capable of dual dual link dvi, or one with a dual link dvi and a display port output to run a pair of the larger dells.

You could use the 2nd monitor with the cable you linked, but you'd be stuck with a lower resolution which would stretch out the image.
March 4, 2013 2:10:35 PM

I thought that HDMI was capable of supporting up to 4k resolutions..?
March 5, 2013 3:12:42 PM

Ok, so I ended up buying a new graphics card..a Geforce GTX 650Ti..
I removed the other graphics card and placed the new one in there. The computer started fine, up until I got to the windows logo. After the Windows logo I am stuck with a black screen and a white mouse pointer. I tried to start up in safe mode, but the same things happens there. At that point I put in my old graphics card, and it does the same thing with that card now.
The display works fine while I am in the bios and when Windows initially loads, but without fail it will go to the black screen. It seems that something is suddenly preventing windows from starting up completely, as I can't even remotely connect to the system or ping it....
any ideas?

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2013 5:01:38 PM

Did you uninstall your ati drivers before plugging in a nVidia card? Your best bet is to stick in the windows backup/install disk and do a system repair with the ati card installed. Once that is done uninstall all ati drivers from your PC. Swap in the nVidia card and install the new drivers.

As for your question about 4k res on HDMI...the newest release of HDMI can support that. However your original video card doesn't support that high a resolution.
March 5, 2013 5:09:08 PM

no..I didn't do that..i will give it a try

Oh, ok..thanks. I was just curious about that :) 
March 6, 2013 4:24:51 PM

trapper said:
Did you uninstall your ati drivers before plugging in a nVidia card? Your best bet is to stick in the windows backup/install disk and do a system repair with the ati card installed. Once that is done uninstall all ati drivers from your PC. Swap in the nVidia card and install the new drivers.

As for your question about 4k res on HDMI...the newest release of HDMI can support that. However your original video card doesn't support that high a resolution.

ok, that worked! Everything is running like a charm now.
Thanks
March 6, 2013 4:25:07 PM

Best answer selected by stevenvw.
!