a-4010s reel to reel tape alignment

Is there a technique to properly align the tape path on this unit, or
is it a trial and error thing? The tape on my machine is riding on
the first guide (not fully in the slot intended for the tape) a
little, so I am thinking of lowering the left tape reel slightly until
the tape sits properly in its guide, then adjusting the right tape
reel with the use of a straight edge across the now aligned left reel.
Is this the way to do it?
2 answers Last reply
More about 4010s reel reel tape alignment

    In <d986bfea.0411020454.15ab51e7@posting.google.com>, on 11/02/04
    at 04:54 AM, biddy67@hotmail.com (Rob) said:

    >Is there a technique to properly align the tape path on this unit, or
    >is it a trial and error thing? The tape on my machine is riding on
    >the first guide (not fully in the slot intended for the tape) a
    >little, so I am thinking of lowering the left tape reel slightly until
    >the tape sits properly in its guide, then adjusting the right tape
    >reel with the use of a straight edge across the now aligned left reel.
    > Is this the way to do it?

    Make sure the tape tension is correct before messing with anything
    else.

    For the record, the "alignment" process usually refers to adjusting the
    bias, equalization, guides, and heads. While reel table height is
    moderately important, we don't usually focus on that detail during the
    alignment process. Correct "alignment" requires a prerecorded tape,
    instruments, and some skill.

    Always check the obvious. Are the reels OK? Tape scraping on warped
    reels can cause trouble. Are the reels seated properly on the reel
    tables? Are the reels running true? (parallel to the case) Sometimes
    the reel motor shafts are bent. I've also seen old plastic reels that
    become distorted such that they don't completely seat on the reel
    table. Is the tape threaded correctly? Is the tape in good shape?
    (Older tapes can become sticky and cause tensioning problems.)

    Minor misalignment of the reel tables is not a problem because it is
    the same as the tape pack being slightly off to one side. The deck will
    handle this easily if the tension is correct.

    Ideally, the tape pack on both reels should sit in the same plane which
    is parallel to the deck's frame at the height of the guides.

    spam: uce@ftc.gov
    13> (Barry Mann)

    >Is there a technique to properly align the tape path on this unit, or
    >is it a trial and error thing? The tape on my machine is riding on
    >the first guide (not fully in the slot intended for the tape) a
    >little, so I am thinking of lowering the left tape reel slightly until
    >the tape sits properly in its guide, then adjusting the right tape
    >reel with the use of a straight edge across the now aligned left reel.
    > Is this the way to do it?

    That might work, but you first need to determine if the guide is set up
    correctly.

    When the table height is correct, the tape should spool from the supply/takeup
    reels and not touch either of the tqape flanges.

    I believe that the table height is set by some screws accessible whrn the front
    cover is off the machine.

    Richard H. Kuschel

Audio