Sign in with
Your question

GTX 670 Running 10MP?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 26, 2013 10:47:52 PM

Hello, I am a physician (radiology) looking to build
a system for work. We use 3MP DICOM calibrated monitors x2 for reading films and 1920 X 1280 standard HD monitors x2 for dictating- all on one computer. Can the GTX 670 4GB handle it? The rendering is done on our server, so this is for some light rendering and image display. Typically I display 3-7 studies at once at 250MB a study. Or I display 25 studies at 25MB a study (preferably more). I am also constantly dictating on a very bulky program and constantly scrolling. At the same time I open up a 250MB-1.5GB (no compression) study on our 3D program, which does the rendering on our server- but I still display it with compression. Right now we run some POS old dual xeon and have ancient Video cards. Can the GTX 670 handle this? I don't want to blow money on Quadro or Xeon, because it's not worth it and the rendering is done on the server. THANKS!

More about : gtx 670 running 10mp

February 26, 2013 10:57:01 PM

I'm not sure if you could run 4 displays at once. It can handle up to 3 displays at once with res. up to 2560*1600, with an extra for info; i'm not sure if it can do more than that. someone check that one.. Amd's chips with eyefinity support can apparently support up to six (!!!) monitors, although I don't know if there are any manufacturers that would ship gpu's with that many ports.
P.S. I'm not an expert, but some knowledge is better than none.
m
l
February 26, 2013 11:03:49 PM

It can do 4 at 1920 x 1080- I've tested that: 8MP. I haven't tried the 10MP though. The 3MP DICOM monitors are 5000 EACH! So before I beg for them- I wanted to get some input. I may be able to borrow some to try it- but that's not easy so I want to get an idea first. THANKS!!!
m
l
Related resources
a c 143 U Graphics card
February 26, 2013 11:04:08 PM

Actually I don't understand most of the OP, but here are some explanations;
1- Rendering is done mainly by the CPU not the GPU, Quadros and FirePros are used for professional 3D, animation, finanction, rendering work that mainly uses GPU acceleration.

2- You can run up to 4 displays with a single GTX 670 simultaneously, but I'm not sure if you can run the 4 displays as a one large surface (nVidia Surround).

3- In your case, you don't need the extra VRAM, 2GB version will be enough.

m
l
February 26, 2013 11:08:31 PM

Thanks ilysami. 2GB sounds good. Since rendering is done mostly by the CPU it makes my choice to not get a Quadro look even better! Thanks.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
February 26, 2013 11:13:12 PM

Just ensure you have the proper connectors (converters) to connect your monitors and get it work.
m
l
!