My laptop stopped connecting to wireless network but others can

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

My HP laptop will not connect to our wireless router. It was fine but now it just stopped connecting. It says wireless connections are available but will not connect to ours. My husband's laptop has not been affected.

We have tried everything: resetting the router (multiple times), reinstalling the router. I have not tried to connect anywhere else yet but that is something I am going to try today. What could have happened to the laptop for it to suddenly stop connecting?

LunaC

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014
I just bought a brand new hp envy laptop a month ago. It worked for a week and then wouldn't connect to my wifi. Both our tablets worked so I sat and troubleshooted from them for 2 days. Checked driver updates and all sorts of bs trouble shooting. disconnected our router. Called our ISP. Still no change. I decided to take it for a ride. I sat in the mcdonalds parking lot and connected quickly and connection was perfect. sent a few msgs and came back home. unplugged our router completely. DISABLED the wifi on our the laptop. Plugged the router in again and enabled the wifi on hp. took a minute, and i let the laptop find the new signal from the router on it's own. IT WORKED! haven't had an issue for the last 2 weeks. During my adventures on google trying to figure this out i ran into soooo many thread regarding hp's and wifi. Some were fixed through random different actions. But most were not figured out. There seems to be a huge problem. If your computer is not picking up wifi anywhere and you're sure your drivers are up to date and your wifi in enabled correctly, i read some have used a wifi tongle and it works just fine. hope this helps the next crazy manic google searcher.

saabir2007

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2013

Actually, I bought a USB wifi devic the and now my Internet always works fine.. Though I am still uncertain why the router rejects my laptop's built in wifi

chrismma

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014

i've been having the same problem. i'm on windows 8 but hopefully this works for you. open up the avaialble connections where you choose which networks to connect to and right click on your homes connection. choose the option "forget connection" if an option and then try connecting and input your password and it should let you in :)

blogsworth

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
No solution but I am very annoyed here, I filled in this question then had to register and my information is now lost!!! So starting again, angrily!! and may not now say exactly what I typed before, I had the same problem, the laptop was sat there minding it's own business and suddenly stopped connecting. It would not reconnect, ditto the above question from Anonymous. This carried on for 8 hours then just as suddenly it connected!!!!!! I did nothing and none of the posted suggestions were of any help. Another laptop sat side by side with this one had no such difficulty and stayed connected. Is the software/hardware getting to clever/complex and doing it's own thing? Have the experts no real clue as to what is happening? These forums /posts are full of amateur comments with no real knowledge appart from guessing/suck it and see. Will some real experts post some constructive and useful/viable/helpful answers?

blogsworth

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
Thanks for the information. Looks like there are many people in the same boat. Unfortunately it happened, but fortunately, so far, just the once. I hate things occuring for no good reason and without there seeming to be a ready solution. I suppose systems and software are becoming so complex that nobody can foresee all the possible interactions that might come together to cause a glitch.

Stylishlib

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014

Thank you so much! This solution worked like a charm!! I had tried so many different things and this finally worked!! Thank you again!

blogsworth

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
The solution to my problem was to return the laptop under warranty for repair. After checks of the software over the phone, including deleting everything and going back to the as delivered settings, it was deduced that the hardware was faulty, the blue tooth and wireless electronics had failed. The laptop has just been returned so now I will have to reload all my added programmes and hope the problem has been cured.

LarsMe

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

deepakpaul13

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
Similar problem solved by hard setting the wireless channel!

I had similar problems detecting my Wifi connection at time from my laptop. The issue was that the router (a relatively new one) was using a channel not supported by my laptop WLAN card.

The router channel selection was set to Auto and the current channel was set to 13 where as my laptop does not even support channel 13.

To check the channel setting on your Wifi router: Go to the router configuration (usually 192.168.1.1), go to the Wireless option and look for an option which deals with Channels. If this is set to auto, you should usually see which Channel your router is using.

To check the channel setting for your Laptop WLAN card (Windows 7):
1. Go to "Network and Sharing Center" in Control Panel
2. Click on Change Adapter Settings
3. Right click the WLAN device and select Properties
4. In Networking tab, click on Configure
5. In Advanced tab, go to WZC IBSS Channel Number property and look at the value.
6. If this value differs from your router value, you might have trouble detecting the Wifi connection.

You can use a utility called inSSIDer or an android app called Wifi Analyzer as well, to find out which channel your router is using. You can then switch to manual selection of channel on router and select an appropriate channel which is supported by both your router and laptop.

Hope this helps!

dorisstours

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014

kashifau

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Guys this happens due to channel conflict.. Change the channel setting in the admin panel of your router and it will start working, See this link for help.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/network-wifi/3325316/how-change-wi-fi-channel/

Jaymin1993

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
Right click on My computer and go to manage
Go to Device manager
In Network Adapters, there should be a wireless adapter, uninstall it by right clicking on that but make sure you've unchecked 'Delete the driver software for this device'
After this, Acion -> Scan for hardware changes

Kamilla89

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015

Thank you it did help, I have the problem the other way around... At home it's fine and I can connect it to my phone also but not to any public wifis... Such as premier inn or other bed & breakfast places. I haven't figured it out properly yet, but I'm on it. See what happens. Oh mine is an Asus btw... But I saw as well loads of hp having this problem. Thanks
Kami

Daniel Taylor

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
I had this exact same problem and FIXED IT! Every other computer, phone, tv & tablet in my home would connect to the network without a problem but my laptop randomly just stopped being able to connect, while at the same time my laptop had no issues connecting to other networks. Drove me nuts. I called my ISP, microsoft and Acer only to fix it myself. I plugged my laptop into the back of the router directly with a Ethernet cord and while it was connected with the cord I also connected to the wireless network. Viola, it connected and I haven't had any other issues since. Computers and networks get so weird sometimes and really all they need is to be able to "talk" to one another for a few seconds and they are able to fix their problems. Try that and see if it works for you too.

Jazdrive

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015

malli1246

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015
Hi All,
today i had the same problem when the service person tried to reset the router configuration. Initially I was able to connect, due to some DSL problem which happened suddenly, the service person had to reset modem to factory settings and as he still faced DSL issue, he continue checking from the exchange and left the modem settings and finally it worked and I was able to connect to internet.

But, my wifi connectivity is lost on only my laptop. Other devices worked fine. I was trying soo many things and finally, in this page I got the solution. As mentioned in previous posts, the channel frequency caused the problem.

My laptop WZC configuration is 11(40MHz-U), but the model is having configuration as Auto scan with 20MHz. I tried selecting "20MHz/40MHz" option and it worked like charm. Thanks to this post.

And who ever is having the same problem try the solution of updating the frequency and channel. in my case, channel didn't cause problem, but the frequency has.

Thank you people.

black3539

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015

Try put the ethernet cable for 1-2 days

Paul Hunt

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.