Power Supply went "poof!"

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Dude, I can't believe this happened. I was taking apart my computer (sort of practicing for my demonstration on Friday), and I had everything out except the motherboard. I vacuumed inside, trying not to touch anything. I stuck the vacuum on the back of the power supply, too, because there was a lot of dust build up.

After putting everything back in, I decided to go back from my Coolermaster HSF to my Swiftech Mc370-0A w/stock Papst fan.

My power supply was 300W, and it wasn't having any problems before this. Anyways, I didn't have enough power connectors, so I left my DVD drive unplugged. Before, I had two cheap case fans running (both from the motherboard). This time, I connected a high speed Sunon fan, which took up another connector.

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/system.html" target="_new">Here's my system.</A>

So, I had these components plugged directly into the power supply:
Swiftech MC370-0A HSF
Lite-On 24x10x40 CD writer
IBM 120GXP hard drive
WD600AB hard drive (daisy-chained to the Sunon fan)
Sunon fan (daisy-chained to the WD600AB)

Anyways, I unplugged everything, took out the power supply, and only attached the connector to the motherboard and heatsink. I connected the monitor and power cord, tried again, and nothing. After a few seconds, another poof. :mad:

I guess I'm gonna have to go to PC Club tomorrow, charge up a new power supply, and have my mom go ballistic on me. But, is there any precaution I have to take before installing the new one? I just hope I didn't fry any components. Do you think I did? Aw, man...I'm freaking out! It's like midnight, and I'm scared for my life, components, and data. I'm glad I just did a data backup this morning, but my mp3s, videos, enormous amount of downloads...hopefully they're alright.

Can someone please tell me what power supply to get by morning? The closest places to go to are CompUSA, PC Club, and Best Buy. And a detailed layout of my system is in the link above, except for the Swiftech MC370-0A, and just one case fan right now (Sunon). Everything else holds true.

Thanks for any help... :frown: If it'd be quicker, can you email me also? Thanks...

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by btvillarin on 04/02/02 00:11 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Best Buy carries a nice 350W Antec power supply with dual fans. Its a copy of the Enermax and just as quiet.

<i>Speed doesn't kill,</i> <b>lag does.</b> :cool: James

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I just came back from PC Club and bought the 431W Enermax for $99.99 + tax = $108. I was gonna get it from Newegg for cheaper, but I can't wait for two days, and they don't do will-call. My mom's gonna go so ballistic on me. At least my computer is back up and running, though. I was just freaked that it might not.

Do you think putting a vacuum against my power supply had anything to do with my old one poofing? :lol: I just want to know, so I don't do it again next time.

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red>

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Thanks for that heads up, Crash. I'll cross Antec off my list of power supplies, especially since I'm gonna build two computers for some friends in the near future.

Nothing to say about why this might've happened? It was a 300W Hivision power supply, and it's been running for probably a year now (since my computer was built). I just really want to know if I should never take a vacuum to my case again, that's all. Thanks for any input. :smile:

P.S. At least my mom wasn't ticked when she heard. I was so freaked that she would've gotten more stress with the added $100 to my credit card bill. (Yeah, yeah...I'm working on earning money soon enough!) :lol:

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Antec gets a good name because their power supplies are better than many generic units. But as far as brand name power supplies go, they are probably the worste.

Now to your other question:

What happen?
Someone set us up the bomb!

Seriously, I don't know what happened.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Well my post above explained most everything, but I wrote a page on it and put it on my site: <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/ramblings/powersupply.html" target="_new">"Bad Power Supply..."</A> :frown:

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Good choice on the PSU . . . was it the EG465VE? -FM? -FC? -FCA? After looking at stats and pawing a bunch of in-store displays, I have also come to the conclusion that Enermax has some of the best goods out there. :cool:

You bought it at PC Club?!? I went there a few weeks back looking, and I did not see any. I wanted to ask somebody about it, but I've seen better service at Home Depot.

d00d! You are in the area, so have you been to the new Fry's? :eek: It is just down the street (2 mi. or so) from Best Buy. They have about 4 different Enermax PSUs, plus about 25 cases lined up across from them. I haven't compared their prices to Best Buy (didn't know they carried Enermax, so I didn't check there). All I know is now that they are open, I am going to go there to do all my window shopping, then go online and get the real deals.

Sucks about Newegg. I am going to buy a bunch of stuff from them, but since they are here in CA I did not want to get hit with both tax and shipping. But, like you said, no will-call. So, I will end up paying $30 for FedEx Saver (and wait a week for it, too :tongue: ). What can I say? . . . I'm a $crooge. :wink:

VSP

<i>Whatever causes your water transportation vessel to maintain proper buoyancy.</i>

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Enermax Whisper EG465P-VE(FC)

Luckily, it was the only one on the shelf... :lol:

There's a new Fry's? The only one I know of is in Burbank. The PC Club nearest me is the Monrovia one. I like the Fry's stores, though. They're pretty large, and they gots lots of stuff to look at.

SavingXoom has will-call for orders over $100, if you make any purchase like that. They're in La Puente, if you wanted to look into them. But, I'm not sure if the mystery of their service reputation is worth it. Newegg isn't that bad for two days, but that's two days that I couldn't wait.

Later...
Bryan

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Dude, if you're talking about that Fry's in the City of Industry, off the 60, then that's waaaay closer than Burbank. I'm gonna have to check that out sometime. Whoo-hoo! :smile:

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
That's the one! It's pretty cool . . . lot's of stuff to get lost in.

You know, all of these places are grouped together, mostly Best Buy and CompUSA. Industry, Monrovia/Pasadena, Glendale. It's cool, though . . . I buy my CD-Rs at BB (rebate, of course!), and the jewel cases at CompUSA. Then, get my labels at Office Depot. Though Fry's has the Afterburner kit for $5 or something insane like that. Worth it if you don't have a labeling kit.

I'm going to check out your Xoom site, see if they have the schtuff I want.

VSP

<i>Whatever causes your water transportation vessel to maintain proper buoyancy.</i>