AMD 7850 problems...

gink0001

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Hello,

I currently have an AMD HD 5870 installed. I purchased an AMD HD 7850 as an upgrade. (New card is: XFX 7850 2GB "Double Dissipation"). I chose this card as it appeared to have the same power (wattage) requirements as current card while offering an improved performance.

I rigorously followed AMD's instructions for removing old cards and drivers and installing new cards and drivers, including using "DriveSweeper" in safe mode prior to installing the new hardware.

HOWEVER, the 7850 set-up is not stable. An error message appears ("display driver stopped working and has recovered"). The screen will go blank for a few seconds, then recover, but with the same message. Navigation is impossible because the mouse is locked up. Even CTR+ALT+DEL fails. This sequence will re-peat until the system fails for good and reboots (to a screen that offers "safe mode" or "reboot as normal", which DOES NOT reboot to normal!)

The card is seated properly. The power connections are seated properly. The system was problem-free with the 5870 installed.

Am I missing something? Any suggestions?

SPEED94

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

Its a driver problem .Some old conflicting files is creating crashes randomly. If possible run a full format and then update the drivers to the latest.Good luck!!

gink0001

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Alas, I have deleted the old ATI AND AMD folders, per the official instructions offered on AMD's website. AND I've used DriveSweeper in Safe Mode to eliminate any and all old tidbits of files and folders that may have remained.

I can not format this computer to attempt to get this card to work. It ain't worth all that hassle....

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
I had this same problem just last week upgrading from a 5870 to a 7950.

Try using driverfusion:
http://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion
It is pretty much the same as sweeper i believe but it worked for me.

First, uninstall the drivers.
Second, delete any folders left over, make sure to delete any temp amd/ati folders, usually C:\AMD, also check C:\ProgramData.
Restart pc if needed.
Third, use driverfusion, you shouldn't need to do this in safe mode and its a good idea to run it twice, restarting the pc after each clean.
Now you can install the amd drivers.

SPEED94

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

Okay if you don't want to reformat at all...here's what you can try AFTER UNINSTALLING THE OLD DRIVERS/CCC AND CLEANING FILES AND FOLDERS WITH THE DRIVER SWEEPER -

RUN-type regedit- delete manually all thats related with the following terms -AMD/ATI/RADEON/CCC/ATI CATALYST.be sure to find all and leave nothing back.
Restart and reinstall the drivers.Restart Update.If does not work try a bios update.

SPEED94

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
If you do not want to format at all try this after uninstalling CCC/drivers , cleaning with driver sweeper and deleting folders -
Run-type regedit - manually delete all keyword / folders/ file related with the words AMD/RADEON/ATI/CATALYST individually - be sure to leave nothing back.
Restart and install the 7850 drivers in safe mode followed by a latest update. Restart and see . If nothing works try a BIOS update that fixes GPU issues.

gink0001

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Thank you all for the suggestions. I tried:

(1) Updating bios (there was an update available)
(2) Using DriveSweeper
(3) Using Driver-Fusion to further remove any ATI/AMD tidbits (note this I only used the free version)
(4) Repeated steps 2 and 3 (recommended by a poster)
(5) Installing the most current AMD drivers (CCC 13.1)

Same result as originalpost.

I did not mess around with the registry... I've done that in the past and only regretted it. (I don't feel like I'm computer savvy enough edit it. Although I DID think I was savvy enough to replace a video card, but maybe not...)

I do not know what brand my PSU is. (It's buried in housing, which I'd rather not mess around with.) I know AMD has recommended PSU manufacturers. However, I was already using an AMD video card (5870) for 2+ error free years on the same machine. And the updated AMD card (7850) was listed as having the same power requirements.

Also, I do not know which motherboard I have. (It's a Dell product... not custom built). I'm not sure what relevance this has... can someone enlighten me?

At this point I'm returning the product. (Maybe it is defective??) But thanks again for the help.