Kaizan

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Hello, so far I have these:
-ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard
-Intel Core i5 3570K
-Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x 8GB)
-850W PSU

Will it run ASUS GeForce GTX 680 4GB DirectCU II Video Card Fine or should I consider another video card.

Oh and will windows 8 impact on the quality of games with this build.

Solution
Well, if you insist, then the 680 will work yes, but unless you are running multiple monitors or at a resolution above 1080p you wont need 4gb of VRAM, the 3GB in the 7970 is more than enough. Also, I take back the triple slot remark, it would appear that the 4gb version is the only DCUII cooler that is not triple slot from Asus, odd.

That cooler is what I have and it keeps the temps down, make sure to get another fan for it and use a push/pull setup. Here's a video that'll help you overclock, you always test with a program like Prime95 for stability, though usually anything below 4.5GHz on an Ivybridge chip is good to go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAnjq6W-UCk&list=WLBF4EE36B5367C758&feature=mh_lolz

This system will be good for...

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
That would work just fine, though, I'd recommend getting a 7970 nowadays as they are much cheaper and offer similar if not better performance. Also, that 680 is a triple-slot card, it takes up a lot of space and can be someone unideal at times. Maybe something like this would be better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008

Windows 8 actually offers slightly improved FPS than Windows 7 in most games, like the improvement from Windows Vista to 7, though not nearly as dramatic and basically immeasurable. It really just depends on the OS you prefer. You will be overclocking that CPU as well right? With a good aftermarket cooler?

Note: If you are only planning on running one card for this system, you could get a lower wattage power supply, maybe in the 650-700 watt range.

Would agree with above the GTX 680 will work fine but I would get Sapphire HD 7970 I think you would be happier. I got a Nvidia card only because the AMD/ATI 7xxx card do not yet work with OS X 10.8.2. If the OS X 10.8.3 update adds support for the 7xxxx cards I will be putting that back into my Hackintosh and sticking this Nvidia card in the closet as a backup.

Kaizan

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
O didn't notice that was a triple-slot card, still fine right? Was aiming for it because it had the huge 4gb ram space.

I should also note that I prefer Nvidia cards :3

The Cpu, I was thinking of overclocking yet I havnt done anything like that before. Combining it with this for cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler

Also with this system build will it last the time, say 3-5years before needing upgrading again?

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
Well, if you insist, then the 680 will work yes, but unless you are running multiple monitors or at a resolution above 1080p you wont need 4gb of VRAM, the 3GB in the 7970 is more than enough. Also, I take back the triple slot remark, it would appear that the 4gb version is the only DCUII cooler that is not triple slot from Asus, odd.

That cooler is what I have and it keeps the temps down, make sure to get another fan for it and use a push/pull setup. Here's a video that'll help you overclock, you always test with a program like Prime95 for stability, though usually anything below 4.5GHz on an Ivybridge chip is good to go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAnjq6W-UCk&list=WLBF4EE36B5367C758&feature=mh_lolz

This system will be good for maybe 3 years, but games won't still be running at max settings by then, in fact, high resolution monitors are probably going to take over pretty soon with 4k tv's coming down in price and becoming more common.

Solution

Kaizan

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Ill defiantly make sure I have enough fans, there are alot built into the case I have chosen.

To Gennaios: because I don't want to have to go searching for new parts...thinking of getting new parts and a new computer is stressful when you don't know all :3

Thanks for all the help everyone! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.