lady_cindy86

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
Hello,
I dont knowwhats wrong, the small LED light on the back of my pc that shows my ethernet cable is connected is red/orange. Its supposed 2 be green. my motherboard is asus P5K-SE

RealBeast

Titan
There are two LEDs just above the Ethernet port, one upper right (indicates speed of connection) the other upper left (indicates activity level).

For the speed LED, no color = 10mbps, orange = 100mpbs, green = gigabit
For the activity LED no color at all = no link, solid color = linked, blinking = data activity

Not looking this up, but I thought that green was 100, at least in all the cards I have seen, and red/orange was 1 gig. I remember thinking there was some error on the port when I first used 1 gig ethernet, looked up the card info, and turned out it was just a 1 gig indicator.

And about the original post, are you having issues or just wondering about the colors?

RealBeast

Titan

My information comes from the OPs motherboard manual, so is correct for that particular motherboard. Of course other motherboards and devices have varying schemes for LEDs.

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015

Sorry to bump an old topic but can you confirm that the Ethernet speed light on a MSI 760GMA-P34 (FX) should be orange? Mine is orange on a 37 Mbps down / 6 Mbps up connection with Spectrum. The online manual says nothing about the color of the Ethernet port LEDs..

The LEDs on the Ethernet port have nothing to do with your ISP speeds. It depends what is on the other end of the Ethernet cable this port is plugged into (your router).

The Network properties of the adapter will let you know what is the connection speed. Much easier to check than leaning under the desk, behind the tower...