Win 7 re-activation after motherboard upgrade

plzpuddngplz

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
I recently had to upgrade motherboards in one of my computers, resulting in Windows 7 asking to re-validate. I still have the disk, but all of the licenses on it are used up. Is there any way to get another license key without paying the $100 for a new copy of Windows?

Install is Home Premium from an OEM machine. I read that this doesn't give you access to Microsoft tech support, so is the option of calling and requesting a new one not possible?

Thank you very much,

PlzPuddngPlz

The OEM license is tied to the MOBO that it is first activated on and once that MOBO dies so does the license -- However MS is usually pretty good about giving you a new activation key if you had to replace the MOBO due to it no longer working - though the license says the replacement must be an exact model replacement unless that model is no longer available -- So try to activate - if it fails follow the instructions given to contact them and explain what happened and they will usually give you a new code after grilling you a bit.

max40watt

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010

This is a fairly common problem, but one that is generally easily fixed without buying a new license. Go through the Windows prompts to revalidate with it hooked up to the internet. It will at some point either decide it's valid, or that you need to call in to an automated service to validate it. Call the number, follow the prompts and enter the code it gives you. Typically this is all you need to do to get Windows revalidated on your updated system. If that doesn't work for some reason, just call into Microsoft tech support, tell them you replaced a dead motherboard and the windows install reports its non genuine and they'll help you out.