Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

GTX 550 Ti (1Gb) Lags like hell on games

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Games
  • FPS
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2013 12:18:14 PM

So I bought this GTX 550 Ti. At first it worked like a dream. I got 40-60 FPS in any game on max settings.

But now...

When I play GTA IV for example. I get something like 10-15 fps on LOWEST settings. I remember when I got almost 60 FPS with max settings when I bought this card. Another example is Battlefield 3, same thing, First worked great on high settings. Now it's not even playable on low. And I also bought Black Ops II. I got it yesterday and it lags like ***. That's why I came here.

What the hell happened?

Sometimes it helps if I reboot my computer, but not much.

Here's my specs:

Processor: Amd athlon II x3 445
RAM: 4Gt
Graphics card: GTX 550 Ti 1GB
PSU: 400W





More about : gtx 550 1gb lags hell games

February 27, 2013 12:29:22 PM

Make sure you have updated drivers, i use the same card, on Nvidia
on 301 / 306 there was an issue with lagging in games and random chrashes
update to latest (314 if im not mistaken) im using 310 and works perfect even a performance boost in some games not allot but enough to notice :D 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2013 12:47:39 PM

I updated them a while ago :/  Didn't help.

Thanks anyway.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2013 12:52:50 PM

What are the temps like?
February 27, 2013 12:54:42 PM

Quote:
I updated them a while ago :/  Didn't help.

Thanks anyway.


if you have Asus version, You dont by any chance have Smart doctor installed with the hyper drive set to temp? Ive noticed that using temp on hyper drive feels like it under clocks the card.
Also on smart doctor reset the setting to default.

Back to the driver, download the latest one and do clean install when installing the driver, when selecting to instal it says something like normal instal and advanced, select advanced and do a clean install, if you still have some driver located somewhere that was in previous driver it will also cause the issue

last option would be take the card out and clean it. might be overheating and causing the card to run lower.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2013 1:30:00 PM

morne said:
if you have Asus version, You dont by any chance have Smart doctor installed with the hyper drive set to temp? Ive noticed that using temp on hyper drive feels like it under clocks the card.
Also on smart doctor reset the setting to default.

Back to the driver, download the latest one and do clean install when installing the driver, when selecting to instal it says something like normal instal and advanced, select advanced and do a clean install, if you still have some driver located somewhere that was in previous driver it will also cause the issue

last option would be take the card out and clean it. might be overheating and causing the card to run lower.

No, I have Geforce version, but I'll try those things.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2013 2:13:28 PM

Did the clean install. Also cleaned the card. It was pretty much covered in dust and I thought I fixed it, but in the game... same crappy 10-15 fps :(  Thanks for trying anyways.
February 27, 2013 3:19:23 PM

Uninstall drivers completely from control panel. Then reboot and unistntall physx and if it auto installs nvidia drivers again, unistall them and make new reboot.

After reboot install teh latest drivers version and reboot, check how it goes. If it stays the same repeat 1st paragraph and then after reboot install previous version drivers you had.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2013 4:28:57 PM

centaurius said:
Uninstall drivers completely from control panel. Then reboot and unistntall physx and if it auto installs nvidia drivers again, unistall them and make new reboot.

After reboot install teh latest drivers version and reboot, check how it goes. If it stays the same repeat 1st paragraph and then after reboot install previous version drivers you had.


Didn't work :(  I hope someone could fix this. Anyhow thanks for trying.


And btw it's more like LAG SPIKES every 2-3 seconds than constant lag, still unplayable.
February 27, 2013 4:55:09 PM

Hmm...check the card with other PC...the graphic card might not be the reason of your Problem!!
Anonymous
February 27, 2013 5:20:06 PM

my brother had this problem, but it turned out it wasn't his card, his card was fine, it was his motherboard :S

btw ur psu looks pretty low for your games, cud be related :o 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2013 6:08:28 PM

Anonymous said:
my brother had this problem, but it turned out it wasn't his card, his card was fine, it was his motherboard :S

btw ur psu looks pretty low for your games, cud be related :o 


Mininum PSU was 400w for that card. So it should work just fine and the card worked fine 6 months ago, so I think there's no problem with the other components. Unless they broke somehow :/ 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2013 6:09:48 PM

nikhils1996 said:
Hmm...check the card with other PC...the graphic card might not be the reason of your Problem!!


Good idea. I'll try when I get a change to do that :) 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 1, 2013 12:28:14 PM

I WILL ******* PUNCH A HOLE IN MY MONITOR FOR FUCKS SAKE! ******* *** SHIT THIS ******* ASS HOLY *** HOW THE HELL IT WENT THAT BAD *** THIS ***.

As you see... I still need help. Can't figure out what the problem is.

Thanks
March 1, 2013 12:40:15 PM

Last resort, format and reload OS, if it still gives issue after that, then its hardware related, take card back to manufacturer
March 1, 2013 1:29:36 PM

1.What brand is your PSU?
2.Download/run program prime95 and check your temp.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 1, 2013 4:58:29 PM

morne said:
Last resort, format and reload OS, if it still gives issue after that, then its hardware related, take card back to manufacturer


IT WORKED!!! My hard drive was probably full of games and all kind of ***. Finally I can PLAY!! And spring break started today!! YAY!

Thanks you're the best! :D