Can I use the mn-700 with a Macintosh Base station?

Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows) <barb@nospam.com> wrote:

> the MN-700 *IS* a base station. You can use Mac wireless clients with it.

I did that a little while ago and I had no problem setting up and using
the base station (through the html interface in a web browser).
Unfortunately, some ports are blocked in the internal built-in firewall
(and despite all my attempts, I could not find a way around it) and some
applications like iChatAV will not work (unless they release a new
firmware to fix the issues).

If ever you need to update the firmware, you'll also need to do this
from PC (VPC does not do the trick - I tried :->>).

Corentin

--
--- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone) ---
(MS) MVP: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

What do you mean by some ports are blocked by the MN700?

It's no different from any firewall...

If the app needs listening ports, you need to create a port forward.
If the app expects responses back from a port different from the one that it
uses to communicate out, then you need to create a port forward.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Corentin Cras-Méneur [MVP]" <korventeen@NoSpam.mvps.org> wrote in message
> Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows) <barb@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > the MN-700 *IS* a base station. You can use Mac wireless clients with
it.

> I did that a little while ago and I had no problem setting up and using
> the base station (through the html interface in a web browser).
> Unfortunately, some ports are blocked in the internal built-in firewall
> (and despite all my attempts, I could not find a way around it) and some
> applications like iChatAV will not work (unless they release a new
> firmware to fix the issues).
>
> If ever you need to update the firmware, you'll also need to do this
> from PC (VPC does not do the trick - I tried :->>).
>

> Corentin
>

> --
> --- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone) ---
> (MS) MVP: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> MVPs.org: http://www.mvps.org/
> Retirez NoSpam de mon adresse pour m'écrire/Remove NoSpam to e-mail me

You tried persistent port forwarding with iChatAV and all of the stuff Apple
recommends at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93208 ?

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Jason Tsang <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote:

> What do you mean by some ports are blocked by the MN700?
>
> It's no different from any firewall...

THey are blocked by default and you can't unblock them.

> If the app needs listening ports, you need to create a port forward.

Sure I tried and it didn't work. I also try putting the Mac in a virtual
DMZ and it didn't work either. It looks like no matter what I did, the
base station enver actually opened the ports.
Believe me, I did all the tests I could do and it never opened the
prots.

I recently acquired a D-Link base station that had a similar setup
(ports closed by default) and I had no problem setting it up.

> If the app expects responses back from a port different from the one that it
> uses to communicate out, then you need to create a port forward.

I tried application port forwarding and persistent port forwarding (and
DMZ as I mentioned) but it simply never opened the ports.
:-\

Corentin

--
--- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone) ---
(MS) MVP: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
MVPs.org: http://www.mvps.org/
Retirez NoSpam de mon adresse pour m'écrire/Remove NoSpam to e-mail me

Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows) <barb@nospam.com> wrote:

> You tried persistent port forwarding with iChatAV and all of the stuff Apple
> recommends at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93208 ?

Absolutely. Believe me, I really did everything I could possibly do (and
I even posted here about it to try and find alternate options :)) ),

- Connect the Mac to the modem directly and it works like a charm
- Put it behind the base station (wired or wireless) and the AV part of
iChatAV is blocked. App poret forwarding, persistent port forwarding and
virtual DMZ did not allow me to actually open the ports for incoming or
outgoing traffic (I even tried port-sniffing from the outside to check
what was happening on the MN-700).

I could not even use iChat AV (and other apps using non-conventional
ports) between Mac on the wireless network.

Believe me, I have a bunch of network tools at my disposal and I am
pretty familiar with the protocols. The ports were never open on my
MN-700.

Of course, the MN-700 was up to date with the latest firmware.
I am not trying to bad-mouth the MN-700: I think it's a pretty good base
station. I'm just saying "I tried - I couldn't get it to work for this
specific use - if you need to do the same, be careful".
Actually I gave the MN-700 away to another Mac user who didn't need that
kind of function. For a regular internet use, she is delighted.

Corentin