Sign in with
Your question
Solved

DHCP router need to be "first" in line?

Last response: in Networking
April 3, 2012 5:07:22 PM

Hello,
I'd like to move my Wireless N router to a more central location in the house, but it currently handles DHCP. If I move it downstream, so to speak, can it still handle DHCP, or do I need to disable it in the N router, and enable it in the new router I locate at the "top" of the stream? Thanks

More about : dhcp router line

a b F Wireless
April 3, 2012 5:48:24 PM

Why do you want to use two routers? Use one router and a switch.
m
l
April 8, 2012 11:50:22 PM

I'm using the 2nd router as a switch, routers are often cheaper than switches. I have a mix of routers and switches, all but the first router with DHCP disabled (although one of them acts as a 2nd access point for a distant part of the house)

Regardless, does the DHCP router need to be first in the chain, or can it command the entire system from any location.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b F Wireless
April 9, 2012 3:34:06 PM

y2khardtop said:
I'm using the 2nd router as a switch, routers are often cheaper than switches. I have a mix of routers and switches, all but the first router with DHCP disabled (although one of them acts as a 2nd access point for a distant part of the house)

Regardless, does the DHCP router need to be first in the chain, or can it command the entire system from any location.

Whatever router you have connected to the modem should have DHCP on it.

I've never seen a switch more expensive than a router, unless you are talking about the higher-end managed switches or ones with more ports than the 4 routers usually come with. Given a router and switch in the same quality range and the same port number, the switch would be more expensive each time.
April 13, 2012 12:44:53 AM

Best answer selected by y2khardtop.
m
l
!