Cost-performance/benefit analysis questions

crashdev

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Hey all,

I tend to make overly detailed posts but I'll try to keep this brief.

I want to upgrade my gpus. For a long time I had a single 4870 1gb, then upgraded by Crossfiring it with a 4870x2. They work together nicely, and my FPS is quite high (Skyrim 85+ in all high w/res pack mods). But I'm experiencing horrific amounts of micro-studdering in most games (Planetside 2, DayZ, Skyrim). I've dealt with the micro-studdering for a long while, but it's time to upgrade.

The Tom's Best GPU for Money chart marks the single 4870x2 on par with a ATI 7850 or nVidia 660, but I have it Trifired so in my head I bumped it up one level in terms of relative performance.

Does anyone know if that assumption on my part is accurate? And does anyone have an accurate idea on what would be a significant performance single card upgrade option without completely breaking bank? Or is a 7970 the only real option? (I prefer ATI cards).

Other relative notes: I'm currently using a dual monitor setup, but game on a single 1920x1200. I do plan on upgrading to a 2650x1600 here in the next 6 months, so that's to keep in mind.

The rest of my tower specs are as follows: Antec Lanboy Air case, Asus P9x79 Pro mobo, Intel 3930k w/Corsair H80 cooler, 16gb G.Skill ram, TriFired 4870x2 and 4870, Silverstone 1k psu, Samsung 256 SSD, WD 1TB Green Hdd, LG Bluray.

Don't...

Bump posts

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283384-33-read-first

crashdev

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

Honest question. If my thread is ignored, would it be more appropriate to re-post? I'd change wording because obviously something about my request turned people off to assist, but in essence a re-post would be preferred?

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Well, a couple things I guess.

1. Any Cost-performance/benefit analysis question has to start with how much you have to spend. Based on your system specs I'm guessing money isn't a huge issue.
Thus, obvoiusly, the more you spend the better.

2. Trifire 4870's probably aren't quite as good as a 660 Ti but I can't substantiate that. Regardless, If you want to use that tier as a base line, it really doesn't effect your purchasing decision much as you are really just shopping whatever tier above that you can afford.

3. Tom's itself says that in order to see a significant increase in performance you have to go about 3 tiers higher than you are currently at. That puts you in the HD 7970 GHZ Edition tier which is what you said you pretty much wanted anyway since NVidia is out. Also, the more ram on the ATI cards would help you in the higher resolution / multi monitor setup you want. Also you can start looking at Xfiring 7950's instead or 7970's in the future.

crashdev

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
You are correct, and I apologize I didn't specify my cost range. Honestly, I was hoping to spend as little as possible to achieve my goals (as most everyone I assume) and keep it under ~$400, but I may have to extend my budget a bit. After all the frustration caused by the microstuddering I'm wanting to avoid a Xfire/SLI build if I can. I know that microstuddering drops off when a 3rd GPU is added, but I'd rather not deal with the noise/power drain/slot usage of 3 cards over one monster.

I may need to start another thread for this, but do you know if dual 7950's or 7970's suffer from high levels of microstuddering?

I would consider that a duplicate and delete it.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

My understanding is that 13.2 drivers largely fixed it. I can't speak from experience about micro stutter though. I can say that the use of VSync and 13.2 made a significant difference the frame latency I was getting from my single 5870 in WoW.

Edit: I'll add that if NVidia is out and you want to avoid Xfire then you've left yourself with the 7970 as your only real option so there isn't much of a decision to be made. You can go to a 7950 to save some cash but that's about it.