What GPU to get?

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
My budget is EXACTLY 400$. Games I play and plan on playing in order: Planetside 2, Battlefield 3, Crysis 3, Crysis 2, Borderlands 2

I just returned a defective 670, it was 379.99 so I'm putting my budget at 400$, no more. not even a penny. I don't want an nVidia card because they just me over with that defective 670.. But it comes with like 50$ worth of in game cash for planetside 2, and I play that game ALOT. like, alotalot. But I also really want crysis 3 and a slightly better performing card, so... basically 7970 and crysis 3 or 670 and planetside 2?

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
To bring a little more balanced opinion...
My AMD HD 5870 plays Borderlands 2 at max settings just fine.
Whether you choose the HD 7970 or GTX 670 you will be ok.

I'm confused why the 670 is still an option right after you stated:
"I don't want an nVidia card because they just me over with that defective 670"

Norlag

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
amd's drivers have improved greatly, so sorry but that is no reason not to choose amd.

As for the original question, you must decide whether to take the $150 for ps2 or the free games with the 7970. Since you didn't state whether you would play bioshock, the other game that comes with the 7970, I assume you won't play it. Correct me if I'm wrong. That means that you are essentially getting $60 in usable freebies with the 7970 and $150 from the 670. For you the better option seems to be the 670. It is up to you though, especially since you don't feel completely comfortable with nvidia.

I'm not sure what you are trying to discus here... You state you either want a GTX 670 or a 7970... but you don't want nvidia... so that leaves you with a 7970... So are you saying you don't want an nvidia but you will get one? Your post is so contradictory. Please be more clear on what you are expecting to gain from this thread.

Each company has had driver issues from time to time. Neither company is, or has been, immune to these problems.
Although I prefer Asus for motherboards, I've had poor results with their video cards (2/4 died within hours or days of first use). OTOH, I'd buy MSI video cards but would not trust their motherboards. Sapphire, HIS, and XFX have provided me with some good AMD cards, and MSI and eVGA have been good for nVidia cards.
Between the GTX670 and HD7970 it would be something other than performance in games that would make the decision for me. If you want PhysX or a more robust 3D environment, nVidia is the way to go. If you intend to mine bitcoins or do other GPGPU tasks, you probably want AMD.

Having had to deal with them recently I would dispute that. :pfff:

Until the last couple of releases, I was getting some unusual clock-drops and jitters from my HD7870, but it was fixed, and now it runs great. My last nVidia card experienced flickering and texture anomalies sometimes (one reason I got the HD7870). I'm currently testing a GTX650Ti though, and it's been running well too.

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Well they REFUSE to give me a refund, so looks like I'm stuck with whatever they send me back, sadly. I sure hope whatever they send has the current game coupon thats being given away with the PURCHASE of a 670 ^^