300 Watt Amplifier means what ??

An 80's vintage SONY AV amplifier (no manual available)
has printed on it "300 Watt Amplifier".
What does that mean? IT has a video in and video out.
A DRLC in and out with a separate power on switch
and 6 speaker output channels.
The 300 watts is, I presume, the max power output
but to what?? Evenly divided max for all 8 outputs?
For outputs in use? For all but the DRLC and video
outputs ???
No guesses please -- I need the real info!
4 answers Last reply
More about watt amplifier means

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 16:37:26 GMT, mathedman@hotmail.CUT.com
    (mathedman) wrote:

    > An 80's vintage SONY AV amplifier (no manual available)
    >has printed on it "300 Watt Amplifier".
    > What does that mean? IT has a video in and video out.
    >A DRLC in and out with a separate power on switch
    >and 6 speaker output channels.
    > The 300 watts is, I presume, the max power output
    >but to what?? Evenly divided max for all 8 outputs?
    >For outputs in use? For all but the DRLC and video
    >outputs ???
    > No guesses please -- I need the real info!

    If the Sony has no model number it ain't a Sony. Have you looked in
    the back? "800 W amplifier" can mean anything in the hands of the
    marketing department. And that is not a guess!

    Advice: look up the model number and let Google do the work.

    Per.

    If you posted the model number, there may be people here that would know the
    power output for you.

    The power output and power consumption ratings of an amplifier, are only a
    small part of the determination of the true performance and sound quality
    that an amplifier will put out.

    The plate on the back is the total maximum power consumption from the
    incoming AC power source to the unit when driven at the maximum power output
    level. It is not a true representation of the actual power output to the
    speakers. On the average, the true total RMS power output can be about 1/3
    of what the power label indicates. Some units are a bit more or less. This
    is only a wild estimate.

    To know for sure, you should see if you can find the user manual, or the
    service manual (even better) for this unit. If you call any of the Sony
    parts distributors, they may be able to find a manual for you. They will
    however, charge for it.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ==========================

    "mathedman" <mathedman@hotmail.CUT.com> wrote in message

    An 80's vintage SONY AV amplifier (no manual available)
    has printed on it "300 Watt Amplifier".
    What does that mean? IT has a video in and video out.
    A DRLC in and out with a separate power on switch
    and 6 speaker output channels.
    The 300 watts is, I presume, the max power output
    but to what?? Evenly divided max for all 8 outputs?
    For outputs in use? For all but the DRLC and video
    outputs ???
    No guesses please -- I need the real info!

    > "mathedman" wrote ...
    > An 80's vintage SONY AV amplifier (no manual available)
    > has printed on it "300 Watt Amplifier".
    > What does that mean? IT has a video in and video out.
    > A DRLC in and out with a separate power on switch
    > and 6 speaker output channels.
    > The 300 watts is, I presume, the max power output
    > but to what?? Evenly divided max for all 8 outputs?
    > For outputs in use? For all but the DRLC and video
    > outputs ???
    > No guesses please -- I need the real info!

    And yet you don't even reveal the model number!
    Would you like us to guess on that one?

    "Jerry G." wrote:

    > The plate on the back is the total maximum power consumption from the
    > incoming AC power source to the unit when driven at the maximum power output
    > level. It is not a true representation of the actual power output to the
    > speakers. On the average, the true total RMS power output can be about 1/3
    > of what the power label indicates. Some units are a bit more or less. This
    > is only a wild estimate.

    Pretty wild indeed ! For an amplifier using a classic Class AB output stage the
    figure is more like 2/3 ( output watts / input watts ).

    Graham

Video Power Audio