2 Nvidia Graphics Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerred12

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
I'm only 15 so don't have hundreds to spend on an upgrade but as its my birthday soon i'm looking at upgrading my PC. I am looking at a new motherboard and graphics card and was just wondering as the new motherboard has 2 PCI-E 2x16 slots can i use the new GTX660 and my current Geforce 9600 GSO. i know they wont run in sli and i can use the 9600gso for Physx but can i use both cards for CUDA?
I have looked online and cant find this anywhere. was just wondering as it would speed up video conversions a little

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Video conversion would be easily handled with either one of the GPU but again, only one will be put to work since they aren't identical GPUs. However, let's say you were to use xilisoft then your 9600GSO will be utilised to the max due to no support as of yet for GTX 600 or Radeon 7000. So when gaming, you can have the 9600GSO do the PhysX and when doing video conversion, depending on the software, then either one will help dramatically with respect to speed.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
I believe that you could potentially select each GPU to handle a certain amount of CUDA related work. Back in 2009 this was how it got done but now I am not so sure. I hope someone else can chime in on this and expand on it further.

ikaz

Distinguished
Hey just note if you are upgrading your MB then your old/memory will probably need to be replaced too. You don't need two 16x Pcie lanes to run phyx and a normal GPU. As long as you have a 8x pcie lane for your main gpu I think you be fine with a 1/2x pcie lane for GSO phyx card (correct me if I'm wrong about the phyx).

tigerred12

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Status
Not open for further replies.