Audio driver down, dell cannot repair, need sound

LoveMyComputer

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 545S Windows 7 Home Premium from Dell. It is a desktop. It is about 2 years old. A few months ago a virus shut my computer down and I paid $275 for the software and software warranty. I also paid an additional $119 for 2 years unlimited technical support. After the technician got my computer up and running again I discovered the the audio for everything (youtube for music and movies) is very low and inaudible and also scrambled. I couldn't fix it myself for weeks so I called Dell for help. They checked and discovered the speakers are fine. They told me to pay $59 for a technician to look into it (someone on a website says it's only good for 30 days) and fix the sound system if he could, otherwise I would have to buy a sound card of other hardware and install it myself. My computer which includes the monitor and keyboard and mouse only costs $650. If I shell out anymore I should buy another computer. I like my computer, and I'm trying not to throw anything of the sort into the landfill if I can help it. Besides I'm out of a job. Do you think I should pay Dell any further since that problem only cropped up after they fixed the computer and I wasn't even using the audio when it went down? Can you recommend another company I can count on for my next computer? Thank you.

You can get a sound card for $10, if I were you I would get a $25 and you would have better quality sound than your Dell motherboard was providing you with in the first place. This is a great sound card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102012 $29.99

If that's too pricey for your tastes then get something generic like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829111003 $13.99

No need to buy a new computer and I'm fairly confident you can install this by yourself. If you have two hands and opposable thumbs it shouldn't be beyond your ability. I'm sure there are guides and step by steps on the internet if you're worried about it. Good luck!

LoveMyComputer

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Thank you, I'll think about it because I checked the instructions online and I don't know if I can stall a soundcard, particularly if I have to unscrew the computer and install it myself. It looks complicated.