Looking for a graphics card?

This is my first time building a computer, and I would like it to be a gaming computer. I have allocated about 400 dollars for my graphics card, and since this is my first time building a computer, I don't know what to look for. I will use my computer primarily for gaming (games such as League of Legends, Minecraft, TF2), and I will also have two monitors, one new monitor (1900x1080) and my current monitor, a really old square one (1024x768). I hope to get at least 60 FPS, although I am sure that almost any 400 dollar graphics card can supply that. I really don't mind an overkill GPU as long as the price is under 400 dollars. What is my best choice?

Edit: A little over 400 dollars is okay
10 answers Last reply
More about looking graphics card
  1. and the rest of the hardware is? and don't forget the PS.
  2. This would be the best GPU you could buy at that price for sure: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150586

If those are the types of games you play though, you could spend less and get a 7870 instead, a 7970 is overkill for the games you listed above.
  3. I'm getting a Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H motherboard, Inter i7 3770k, 16GB RAM 1866, not sure how much power supply I'll need yet, I'll decide on that once I figure out what GPU I want
  4. And also I know the GPU might be overkill, but my current computer has horrible graphics and I can't even play games like PS2 and stuff, so I do plan on playing games like PS2 when I build my new computer.
  5. I'd recommend a 700 watt PSU, if you plan on overclocking, 750 watts might be even better, but 700 would probably be fine, this is a good option: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

You could go cheaper if you need to.
  6. For games a 3570k is a wiser choice and 8GB of RAM is plenty 2x4GB. 1600 RAM for games will be fine as well.
    -Bruce
    Edit - what you save on the cpu & RAM you can get a SSD - I would suggest a 240/256GB but a 128 will do.
  7. LoL will get 100 FPS on max settings with a 3.4ghz phenom II and a HD 4850. Not much different than my I5 3570k and a hd7870. You definitely don't need to spend that much to max out.
  8. This will be my computer for my time during high school, and I am going to go to a very tech and compsci oriented high school so I do want some extra power in case I want to VM or run Emulators for programming.
  9. Yizbenlazzer said:
    This will be my computer for my time during high school, and I am going to go to a very tech and compsci oriented high school so I do want some extra power in case I want to VM or run Emulators for programming.

I'd suggest toning down from the 7970 to a 7950, and spend the extra $100 or so on a 120GB SSD. IMHO, the speed that an SSD will provide in regular usage is far more rewarding than the performance difference between a 7970 and a 7950 in games, considering what you play.

Also, an aftermarket CPU cooler is a must if you're going to overclock that 3770K. (A Hyper 212 EVO would fit the bill for modest overclocking.)

Edit: Just re-read your post - Slightly off-topic but worth noting: A high school CS curriculum that involves virtualization and emulation? That's pretty awesome.
  10. xomm said:
    I'd suggest toning down from the 7970 to a 7950, and spend the extra $100 or so on a 120GB SSD. IMHO, the speed that an SSD will provide in regular usage is far more rewarding than the performance difference between a 7970 and a 7950 in games, considering what you play.

Also, an aftermarket CPU cooler is a must if you're going to overclock that 3770K. (A Hyper 212 EVO would fit the bill for modest overclocking.)

Edit: Just re-read your post - Slightly off-topic but worth noting: A high school CS curriculum that involves virtualization and emulation? That's pretty awesome.

Haha I think I misphrased that, I meant that I would do High School CS AND Virtualization on my own, separately xD Wish my high school was that awesome xD
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computers Graphics Product