Questions regarding Pace 4111n modem/router

CypressMoon

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Hello:

I GREATLY appreciate anyone taking the time to read this:

An electrical storm recently ruined our Speadstream modem and TP-Link (wired) router. I had all 3 of our mac computers "wired" to them because I have sensitivity issues with wireless devices. (I know it sounds crazy, but it's real and if anyone has ever experienced it you know what I'm taking about) Anyways, AT&T suggested their modem/router combo Pace 4111N. I have a couple of questions:

1) Can I connect my computers to this device using my Cat6 ethernet cables and NOT use the wireless option?

2) Will there still be wireless signals emitted even if everything is wired?

3) If so, is there a way to turn the wireless off?

4) Any personal experiences with the Pace 4111N? I’ve read mixed reviews.

Questions 2 & 3 are the most important to me because of my health. I really appreciate your help and welcome any suggestions. Thank you so much!

Russell

Solution
There should be a way to disable the wireless radio in the router. I'm actually trying to locate the login information for this same unit, and I havent had the chance to sit down with it.

Make sure you are connected to the router via CAT5 or CAT6 cable before doing this.

First step is to go to your computer and open the command prompt. You can do this by clicking start and typing CMD in the search box. The program for the command prompt should appear in the menu above.

Click on it to open the command prompt windo. At the prompt, type the following...

ipconfig/all

hit enter. A bunch of stuff about your computers network configuration will come up. you are looking for the "Default Gateway" address. This is usually something like...

robrock68

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
There should be a way to disable the wireless radio in the router. I'm actually trying to locate the login information for this same unit, and I havent had the chance to sit down with it.

Make sure you are connected to the router via CAT5 or CAT6 cable before doing this.

First step is to go to your computer and open the command prompt. You can do this by clicking start and typing CMD in the search box. The program for the command prompt should appear in the menu above.

Click on it to open the command prompt windo. At the prompt, type the following...

ipconfig/all

hit enter. A bunch of stuff about your computers network configuration will come up. you are looking for the "Default Gateway" address. This is usually something like 192.168.1.1, but many routers use different addresses. When you find it, write it down and open your browser... Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc...

In the address bar at the top, where you usually type the www. addresses, you are going to type that address that you wrote down. You will likely be faced with a login screen. If you've never been in there, then it should be open. The various manufacturers use different combinations. you can try the following.

Username: Admin or admin or (leave blank), or Administrator

Password: (leave blank) or try `admin' or `administrator'

try as many combos as you can. if one works, jot it down.

When you get in, you should see the web interface for the router. look for something that says "wireless". In there, there should be a item that has a check box beside it that says something about "wireless radio" either uncheck the box, or click disable. there should be something ovbious.

After that, you can save your changes and exit the web app. Your wireless should now be off.

If I can be of any more help, email me rob.rock_68@yahoo.com

Microsoft MTICP MCTS Certified

Solution

CypressMoon

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

robrock68:

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I went ahead and purchased the Pace 4111 not long after my initial posting. I was able (I thought) to disable the wireless in the admin area by following the steps you have suggested here. I wasn't totally sure I did it correctly until I read your message. Thank you so much again for your assistance. I greatly appreciate it.

Have a great weekend.
russell