When plugged via vga to dvi, new graphics card doesnt do anything

dubyanue

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
I recently got a GeForce Gtx 295 from a friend along with a power supply that is enough watts to run it. I got everything set up and put the card in the slot. I plugged all the power cables in and then i put vga plug from my monitor into the card with a vga to dvi adapter. I turned on the computer and the gtx 295 showed a green light showing that it had sufficient power, yet my monitor still remains black with an orange light for power (indicating that there was no signal) when there is video signal the light turns blue and there is a display. My computer does not even recognize there is a new graphics card and in display adapter it does not appear and i have no clue how to fix it. The same thing happens when i use a hdmi cord to connect it. WHen i plug the vga cord back into the onboard graphics everything returns to normal. Please help!!! :cry:

my comp is a HP-Pavillion p7-1234
Monitor: Hanspree HD
graphics card: Nvidia GeForce gtx 295
Windows 7 64bit

badam

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Connect it back to the onboard graphics, install the drivers for the new card, shut down, install the card, go into bios and disable onboard graphics, or select pcie as the source of the graphics (the wording varies). Once you get into windows you can just switch the cable over and that should do it unless there is another issue.

dubyanue

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013

It wont let me download the drivers. whenever i try to it says that there is no hardware compatible with Nvidia drivers. Im getting it straight off the nvidia website.

dubyanue

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013

so Basically my computer isnt even seeing the graphics card at all.

dubyanue

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013

I may just be dumb, but for my computer there arent really any options for that in my bios. There are no options for disabling or enabling anything graphics related, ive tried pressing all of the F keys and they take me to different menus but none are like the classic bios, maybe im just not looking at it right. If you could help me out thatd be appreciated, Im on a Hp Pavillion p7-1234

dubyanue

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013

Ok so i searched around and saw that i could disable onboard graphics via control panel after computer, after disabling that, the resolution changes which i assume is supposed to happen. Even with those disabled, the computer still does not recognize the gtx 295.