Performance of MN-700 wireless G network

Is there a way to boost the signal? My son's computer
keeps losing the internet signal. Since it works 1/2 of
the time, I think it is set up correctly. It from low-
good-srong, seems to vary constantly, and also just loses
signal from time to time. (He has a desktop, with an
adaptor).

I read that I can add "another "access point" in another
part of the house from the main gateway". How do I do
that, buy another base station? It says "to be sure to
give both base stations the same SSIDs and security
settings.

Help! And thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about performance wireless network

    Microsoft's base stations have both internal and external antenna for signal
    balance, so you cannot "boost" the signal. You could try different
    channels, however, like going to 11 or 1 on all the machines and see if that
    helps.

    Adding a Microsoft product (like another MN-700) requires that it be in
    bridged mode and it must be wired to the base station itself, meaning you
    need to run cables. If you don't have success in changing the channels
    around, or by moving the MN-700 away from walls, electrical appliances, or
    high/lower in the present location, you may wish to look into a true access
    point device. They don't require the cable connection.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "Pat Mac" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to boost the signal? My son's computer
    > keeps losing the internet signal. Since it works 1/2 of
    > the time, I think it is set up correctly. It from low-
    > good-srong, seems to vary constantly, and also just loses
    > signal from time to time. (He has a desktop, with an
    > adaptor).
    >
    > I read that I can add "another "access point" in another
    > part of the house from the main gateway". How do I do
    > that, buy another base station? It says "to be sure to
    > give both base stations the same SSIDs and security
    > settings.
    >
    > Help! And thanks!

    you can buy oem antennas that will boost signal from a
    little bit to a lot. Problem is that Microsoft
    apparently has not installed an antenna in MN-700 that
    can be replaced. I asked this question today. Look up
    www.wlanantennas.com for options, note the "flag" antenna
    that can attach to a pci card, rather than the access
    point.

Routers Performance Networking