Linux Distribution for Dual Athlon MP

athensy

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
Recently, I got a dual Athlon MP machine, and I decide to install Linux on it and use it as my database server. I has tried serveral popular Linux distributions, include RedHat 7.2, Mandrake 8.1, and Suse 7.1. However, none of the distributions could function properly on my machine. RedHat can detect and install an SMP kernel for me, but my machine is hung up while booting. Mandrake and Suse just install me a kernel for single processor, and they work fine (but consider my machine as a single processor system).

Could anybody give me advise for this problem?

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
You could always try Debian...

Mandrake 8.1 claims to be SMP capable, but you need to use the "enterprise kernel". Boot up single processor, install that, and you should be good to go.

Not sure what's up with RedHat, but there's a few discussions you can find on the 'net.

athensy

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
Debian is too 'hacker feel' for me! I am not a Linux expert.

How to let Mandrake 8.1 install the 'enterprise kernel'? I can't get this option during installation.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
It might be easier to install the enterprise kernel after the main install. Use rpmdrake, or gnorpm (or the shell: rpm -i kernel-enterprise-...)

athensy

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
I has taken a try, but the system mess up finally. It seems that it can't just put the SMP kernel to it, many configuration parameters should put on it to let it run properly.

Linux seems that it doesn't really SMP ready. If I can't get this job done within next 2 days, I will turn to Windows 2000.

Anyway, thanks very much for your help.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
It's your call, but please don't confuse "Linux not SMP ready", with "athensy not Linux ready". It works fine for most people.

There really should not be a lot to configure to run in SMP mode. Install the new kernel, add an entry for Grub or Lilo if needed. Reboot. If you choose to re-install from scratch, try selecting "Individual Package Selection", and select the smp kernel then. It should then be an option at boot time.

I don't know why the mainstream distributions don't supply the default kernels with SMP support enabled... but I guess not many people need it.

Good Luck.

athensy

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
Just one question, have you ever install Linux on any SMP system and sucess? If it is yes, please tell me what Linux distribution and version you used.

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
You should install single-kernel and just complie a new kernel with SMP support.

If you are unsure about compiling a kernel, there are plenty of resources online to help you.

I don't think distros ship with SMP enabled because of the size difference with SMP is not worth the samll percentage of people that use SMP.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
athensy, RedHat 7.0 on a dual PII. I'd like to help you get things going, but I need to know exactly what the problems are. If you can tell me what went wrong, error messages, and what you've tried, I can give it a shot. Otherwise, I'm just guessing.

Red_Zealot, a fresh kernel is nice, but I really don't think it's required. All of the current distros ship with an smp capable kernel on the cdrom. No-one should have to compile just to get a working box, especially not someone new to Linux.