Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking for a router to support many devices

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 19, 2012 3:11:14 AM

Here's my situation. First of all my ISP is Comcast and I currently have a Comcast modem/router, the problem is that I have many people living in one house and many many devices connected wirelessly to one router. There are 6 computers, 2 printers, 2 xbox 360's, and 1 Roku. The current router can not handle this many devices at one time and ethernet is not a viable option.

So basically I need a new router that can support all these connections and do it at high speeds because when connecting with ethernet speedtest.net says I have a 35.54Mbps download speed and 5.41Mbps upload speed.

Thanks for any help in advance.

More about : router support devices

March 20, 2012 12:44:53 AM

ngrego said:
Most home use wireless routers can handle at least 20 connected devices. Maybe your problem is network bandwidth due to all the connected devices.
Check this out it will help you make a selection:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/vie...

Thanks for the website, the reviews on there are very in depth and useful, unfortunately they're a little to in depth for me to understand. There's so many different benchmarks I don't know which ones relate to my situation. What exactly do you mean when you're talking about network bandwidth?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

March 20, 2012 5:37:03 AM

If you have many devices on your home network, and say someone is gaming, someone else is streaming video another is downloading the speed of the network will drop due to traffic. If you have most of the traffic going through wireless you can understand that the router has a heavy load to deal with.
A router with good wireless speed and good throughput (wireless to wired) will work best in your situation.
March 24, 2012 5:10:07 PM

ngrego said:
If you have many devices on your home network, and say someone is gaming, someone else is streaming video another is downloading the speed of the network will drop due to traffic. If you have most of the traffic going through wireless you can understand that the router has a heavy load to deal with.
A router with good wireless speed and good throughput (wireless to wired) will work best in your situation.

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know.
m
l
March 24, 2012 5:10:20 PM

Best answer selected by Hadoe.
m
l
!