9800GTX+ died.....need advice..with issues.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfriedman1971

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Ok...This is a weird one...

I have an older Dell XPS 420. OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. CPU is a QX9650 Quadcore @ 3.0ghz, Memory is 8GB. PSU is 500w the biggest Dell offered at the time.

I ran a 9800GTX+ with no issues for 3 years till it kicked the bucket. I am using a HD7570 that a friend gave me.( I can see why).

I need to replace this card, but here are some issues....

1. LCD is a 22inch @ 1680x1050. No plans to go bigger within 2 years.

2. I only have 1 6pin plug. I can not use a dongle adapter because I only have 1 available ide plug and the adapter needs two. I have no available sata power plugs. I have 3 hard drives and two optical drives. The 9800GTX+ drew 145 Watts, so any card that draws 145 watts or less is good.

3. There is only one PCI xpress slot so no SLI or crossfire needed.

4. I play flightsims, Crysis(original), STO, and want a DX11 card

5. I would like to get better performance than what the 9800GTX + did.

6. Used is no issue.....buying on ebay is okay if newegg or tigerdirect does not have anything.

7. Would like to keep cost around 200, new...or 100 used.

Any recommendations???

I have looked at GTX 650 Ti, HD5770 and HD7770. They seem to fit the bill with better performance than the 9800GTX+, and 1 6pin power plug. Any others I am missing???

Solution
given your limitations, either a 7770 or a GTX 650TI would fit the bill, the Radoen HD5770 is 2 generations old and should not be considered.

a simple comparison:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/536?vs=680

tells us that the GTX650TI is slightly faster, while consuming slightly more power. the slightly more power isn't an issue for you, so I would go with the 650ti. though honestly the 7770 is a great card as well and both cards overclock decently so it's more or less a toss up depending on if you can find a nice deal on either card.
given your limitations, either a 7770 or a GTX 650TI would fit the bill, the Radoen HD5770 is 2 generations old and should not be considered.

a simple comparison:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/536?vs=680

tells us that the GTX650TI is slightly faster, while consuming slightly more power. the slightly more power isn't an issue for you, so I would go with the 650ti. though honestly the 7770 is a great card as well and both cards overclock decently so it's more or less a toss up depending on if you can find a nice deal on either card.

Solution

The 650Ti is a 110w part how is that more the the 140w that a 9800GTX+ requires? :heink:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-650ti/specifications

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant compared to a 7770, the 650Ti consumes more power

The OCCT test is an unreal situation and should not be used as a gauge of how much power a card requires, do you drive? And if so do you go everywhere with the rev counter buried in the red?

well, I linked him to a benchmark comparison and I figured I might as well reference things on it. No disrespect I'm aware you know your stuff (probably a lot more than me), but I'm not here to write a full dissertation on tech, I'm here to try my best to help others and learn. If i'm making a blatant mistake, please point it out and I'm happy to apologize and fix it.

Onto the issue at hand, my final conclusion is that I think the 650ti and 7770 have very small differences, and price should be the deciding factor for the OP. Please understand that I do not wish to drag this discussion into technicalities

The only thing that I would ask you to consider is the fact that OCCT and Furmark are unreal power "viruses" (as AMD/ATi & Nvidia term it) and as such have no bearing on real life situations.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
For some reason both cards are freaking puny! I don't think I've seen such a small card since I've had my 7600gt. Either way the 7770 is cheaper, both are good performers.

The 7770 available on newegg include the game Sleeping Dogs and the EVGA 650Ti includes Assassins Creed 3 and $75 in-game coupon for some free 2 play games. I assume you can buy items and such things on those games.

Fair enough, I'll do well to remember that. thanks for the pointer! :D

@lpedraja2002 yes, AMD is heavy on game coupons only in their bundles, while Nvidia tends to mix it up between games and in-game cash to buy stuff in various online games' cash shops.

as for the physical cards themselves, yeah, these things are getting smaller, lighter, and cooler. welcome to the wonderful world of small form factor computing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.