Sign in with
Your question

Any equivalent?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 28, 2013 1:30:55 AM

I was wondering if there was a cheaper equivalent to the 7870, like crossfire/sli lower end cards?

More about : equivalent

a c 91 U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 1:39:29 AM

the general rule of thumb is to go with a single card solution when you can. crossfire/sli configurations consume more power, takes longer to adjust, and can fail due to problems such as microstuttering. the severity of these problems vary between each build so it's hard to predict, but if you can afford a 7870 I would say get it.

Also, the 7870 is an overclocking monster, I honestly have trouble thinking of a cheaper configuration for the same performance...
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 1:39:35 AM

For the same price (if you look hard enough) you can get a Tahiti LE. Think of it like a crippled 7950 and a crippled price point, which it is. It will perform like a 7950 without paying the premium. So far only CLUB3D, SAPPHIRE, and POWERCOLOR make these special cards. If you really wanted to go 2 lower end cards, 2 7770s should perform the same or or even a bit better. For Nvidia you can't SLI 2 low end cards since the 650 Ti does not support SLI. The next step up from a GTX 650 Ti would be a 660 but it costs around $220.
Related resources
a c 91 U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 1:41:09 AM

completelyrandomname said:
For the same price (if you look hard enough) you can get a Tahiti LE. Think of it like a crippled 7950 and a crippled price point, which it is. It will perform like a 7950 without paying the premium. So far only CLUB3D, SAPPHIRE, and POWERCOLOR make these special cards. If you really wanted to go 2 lower end cards, 2 7770s should perform the same or or even a bit better. For Nvidia you can't SLI 2 low end cards since the 650 Ti does not support SLI. The next step up from a GTX 650 Ti would be a 660 but it costs around $220.

It's also hard to find a pair of 7770 cheaper than a single 7870, there isn't a significant cost difference at all...
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 1:42:03 AM

Yea that's where the crippled 7950 comes in lol.
a c 91 U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 1:43:28 AM

Yea that's where the crippled 7950 comes in lol.

ahh yes, too bad Tom's deal for a $210 Tahiti LE on Newegg sold out, that deal was pure gold. almost prompted me to sell my 7970 and buy a pair lol
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 1:44:44 AM

Those things are insane. Price is one of the big positives but the performance is bigger. It's like a Lamborghini for [insert cheap price for cars] (I'm not a car guy).
a c 91 U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 1:54:29 AM

Those things are insane. Price is one of the big positives but the performance is bigger. It's like a Lamborghini for [insert cheap price for cars] (I'm not a car guy).

well, TECHNICALLY, given that it's a crippled Tahiti chip it's like a Lamborghini with a bumpy roof (the bumps will make it un-aerodynamic and drive slightly slower? not a big car guy either). anywho, it'll still drive like a Lambo :D 
!