Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PSU hook up help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 28, 2013 3:23:37 AM

Ok, so, This is a very noobish question but i need help... I have a 2900gt hd and a corsair 500w psu. This is the first time i have EVER installed a graphics card. The desktop i am using only has a 250w psu built in it so i bought the 550w one. now my question is, can i just hook the pci-e power supply into the graphics card and just leave every original connections on the motherboard? ( so i would only be using one wire from the 500w psu.) and also, do i leave the psu switch on at all times or do i have to switch it off every use?

More about : psu hook

Best solution

a c 76 U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 3:29:44 AM

you got to use the 500 watts psu for all the system and remove the 250 watts ,yes you could leave the psu switch on and close the system .
February 28, 2013 3:39:02 AM

scout_03 said:
you got to use the 500 watts psu for all the system and remove the 250 watts ,yes you could leave the psu switch on and close the system .

ohh ok, the reason i asked this is because i just got a new psu and i thought it was doa because i hooked it in and nothing happened. but i hooked the sata powercable into my dvd rom and it didnt go on, so do you think the prob. was not hooking it up to the whole system?
Related resources
a c 76 U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 3:42:49 AM

plug it to the motherboard and the sata drive and graphic card as external and try to power the system if nothing work then psu is doa .
February 28, 2013 3:43:42 AM

scout_03 said:
plug it to the motherboard and the sata drive and graphic card as external and try to power the system if nothing work then psu is doa .

ty vm for your help
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 3:44:00 AM

Yes. There are certain signals your motherboard sends to the PSU to turn on all the other wires coming out of it.
February 28, 2013 4:57:40 AM

WOW! thank you guys! i just hooked up every thing and it is running great now!!!!!!!!!! TYVM! you saved me a lot of money and a lot of time! :bounce:  :D  :D  :D  :bounce:  :love: 
February 28, 2013 4:57:59 AM

Best answer selected by snow0770.
!