Closed Solved

PSU hook up help

Ok, so, This is a very noobish question but i need help... I have a 2900gt hd and a corsair 500w psu. This is the first time i have EVER installed a graphics card. The desktop i am using only has a 250w psu built in it so i bought the 550w one. now my question is, can i just hook the pci-e power supply into the graphics card and just leave every original connections on the motherboard? ( so i would only be using one wire from the 500w psu.) and also, do i leave the psu switch on at all times or do i have to switch it off every use?
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hook help
  1. Best answer
    you got to use the 500 watts psu for all the system and remove the 250 watts ,yes you could leave the psu switch on and close the system .
  2. scout_03 said:
    you got to use the 500 watts psu for all the system and remove the 250 watts ,yes you could leave the psu switch on and close the system .

ohh ok, the reason i asked this is because i just got a new psu and i thought it was doa because i hooked it in and nothing happened. but i hooked the sata powercable into my dvd rom and it didnt go on, so do you think the prob. was not hooking it up to the whole system?
  3. plug it to the motherboard and the sata drive and graphic card as external and try to power the system if nothing work then psu is doa .
  4. scout_03 said:
    plug it to the motherboard and the sata drive and graphic card as external and try to power the system if nothing work then psu is doa .

ty vm for your help
  5. Yes. There are certain signals your motherboard sends to the PSU to turn on all the other wires coming out of it.
  6. WOW! thank you guys! i just hooked up every thing and it is running great now!!!!!!!!!! TYVM! you saved me a lot of money and a lot of time! :bounce: :D :D :D :bounce: :love:
  7. Best answer selected by snow0770.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics