SB Live! Value install problems

G

I have a fairly fresh installation of Windows XP Professional and I am trying to install my SB Live! Value sound card which I know to be in fine shape.

The system seems to auto detect it just fine but fails to install the card. Below is the message I get...

Cannot Install this Hardware

There was a problem installing this hardware
Multimedia Audio Controller

An error occurred during the installation of the device
The data is invalid

I have even tried the latest drivers from Creative. HELP!!!

G

I already tried that but thanks just the same for taking the time to try and help me.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
what motherbaord do you got

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

G

Creative got back to me. This is what they had to say...

"Do the Windows XP generic drivers install in the system ok, or does it only fail when you try to update? If the Windows XP drivers fail, that would indicate a problem with the operating system, rather than the sound card."

Well, the answer to that is my Windows XP drivers fail.
So, having said that, does anybody know how I can replace my corrupt drivers from my XP CD? Or off the web?

G

Arg! I've battled the soundblaster live beast myself. The best thing I can tell ya to do is a fresh install of XP. Before you do this remove the soundcard completely. Bring everything else up to date, and then download the latest drivers for the soundcard. Install the card, and dont let windows install the soundcard, just cancel. Once in windows just install it manually. You know, go to system, select card, update drivers, etc. That might help. Originally I had no end to troubles with my x-gamer. I had so many IRQ sharing conflicts that my comp wouldnt boot. Finally I found a way around the crapola (see above) and its worked great since. =)

G

I don't get the opportunity to abort the installation attempt in XP. It tires to do the whole thing automatically with no chance for user intervention. The error message (noted above) pops up and my only option is "Finish". The when I go to Device Manager the card is sitting in "other device" with the yellow exclamation point. I can't even remove it from there. XP is strange.

G

I have the same error message coming up on my system. But... and here's the kicker. I'm running Win 2000 Profesional and using an Audigy card. Not only that but I get the same error when trying to install a NIC card from SMC. If I find out any work arounds I'll try to let you know.

chanmy8

Distinguished
May 12, 2002
Hi,
I face the same problem which no sound from my system even though devide manager shown my sound card installed properly. I try to update my sound card driver, but it return "no sound card found!". I used to update driver using device manager either, but it still the same. Any ideas?

I am using SB Live! Value sound card.

Thank you

G

The only way I was able to solve my problem was to completely reinstall XP. However, your problem sounds a little different. It sounds as if your card successfully installs but your just no getting sound, correct? What happens when you go to the Windows Update site and try to DL and install the latest drivers for the SB Live?

TRENDING THREADS