Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Frame Stutter's/FPS Drops

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 28, 2013 3:29:44 PM

Okay, i've had this problem for around a year now. I never used to game much on my PC as I had a Xbox 360, I make gaming videos on YouTube and my card used to work fine. About a year back I had an issue on my Radeon HD 6850 with any game I play. I assumed it was a problem with the hardware in the card because it was just out of warranty, I didn't use it much so I left it for a year. About 2-3 weeks ago my new Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz edition arrived, I also sold my Xbox 360 thinking I would switch to PC gaming.

Anyway, the problem persisted, the problem in its best way of describing it, is I can be doing anything in a game, running through a huge battle in Crysis 3, or staring at a wall on ArmA and my frame rate will go from 70+ down to anything from 5-15 fps.

Obviously I can now rule out my 7970 as it is brand new, I can also rule out my HDD (formatted yesterday along with a clean install of windows), it is NOT a driver issue, as it is a continuation of a problem I've had for around a years worth of drivers. It is NOT my system overheating as everything is running at around 30 degrees. My GPU raises to 50-55 degrees when under load. My processor which is clocked at 3.3Ghz goes to around 40 degrees under 100% load.

(Everything run's nice and cool because of my NZXT Phantom Case :) )

So, what is the issue? My friend reported to me that my voice whilst on skype wen't 'stuttery' or 'laggy' whilst I was experiencing a lag spike.My microphone is plugged directly into my motherboard through USB 2.0 which has lead me to believe that because my motherboard didn't quite reach the screw-holes in my case so we had to bend it a little (bad I know and it wasn't anything major, more just putting pressure on it so it would fit) but could this have affected my system just a minimal amount in such a way that it could possibly cause the intermittent, absolutely random FPS drops?

My system is 64bit if anyone was wondering and I have 12gb of DDR3 RAM installed clocked at 1333mhz. My processor is the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition. I think that is all the information you need :)  if any of you know a tool where I can simply paste my specs in it would be easier but I think it's all there, if not then let me know :) 

Any help?!?!

My main question is, could the motherboard be causing this? if yes, it's on its way out!
February 28, 2013 4:20:15 PM

well if you're online gaming on Crysis 3 or whatever, and your friend said you were laggy in skype it could just be your internet connection > replace network adapter or something

btw do you use a wireless gaming mouse or cabled?

also it could just be your overloading your cpu (it shouldn't be getting to 100%)

February 28, 2013 4:25:39 PM

it could also be your motherboard, that is of course a possibility
Related resources
February 28, 2013 4:32:43 PM

If you read I didn't say my CPU is at 100% load whilst gaming, I was stating that so it could be ruled out as a cause of bottlenecking because of I don't want loads of people assuming my CPU is overheating when it isnt. Also, this happens both online and offline, and connection doesn't usually affect framerates, ping shouldn't anyway
February 28, 2013 4:44:47 PM

Quote:
but could this have affected my system just a minimal amount in such a way that it could possibly cause the intermittent, absolutely random FPS drops?


Unless you headphones are disconnecting and reconnecting during these spikes, then I'd say no.

Try a different means of communication. Lately I've been using google hangouts to play civ 5 with friends and it works well enough.

Barring that, try a different headset. You've got a usb headset, so I'm assuming it has some sort of utility program that you need. Perhaps the problem lies with the headset itself or the drivers/utilities.

Jumping to the conclusion that your mobo is done is a tad extreme. Rule number one: Keep it simple, stupid :D  What I'm trying to say is see if it may be something easily fixable, instead of having to rebuild your pc.
February 28, 2013 4:50:43 PM

My headset is different to my microphone, it also happens when im not online, I only only included the skype thing as it might help find a cause to the problem, all my driver's are installed and up to date. I also have a wired mouse and keyboard as im presuming this is the next thing you will ask
February 28, 2013 4:55:05 PM

i meant that i dont know what my cpus temperature would be under 100% because i've not allowed to get that high. Yours has been cuz u know it so just saying thats kinda bad, not healthy for it.

plus if ur runnning loads of things at once in order to get ur cpu using loads, it will be slower as its used up more (thus decreasing fps rates)

connection online will affect fps, for instance once i had an incredibly bad connection for abit an tried to game with a hugely high ping, fps was like 3 at the time, because its getting data for the game online, an if it doesnt get it then it will be very slow fps because theres nothing to load

the fact that this happens on and offline says to me that its either your motherboard, ram or cpu, cpu normally doesn't go wrong much compared to motherboards, motherboards seem to go wrong more than any other part apart from GPU, but u've already ruled that out, and ur Power supply too.

U cud just take it to a technicians an have them check it out, idk about where u r but here i have a place where they will diagnose the problem free of charge, just look around u must have it too.

I'd say its the motherboard just because of experiences our compuers have had, like 9/10 its the motherboard sadly

advice for u would be to get a technician to check it out so u dont waste loads of money on buying new parts an finding its still the same problem, just get them to diagnose it then u can go from there.

hope ive been helpful, if i get somethign wrong im sorry, not great at this stuff xD
a c 105 U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 4:56:07 PM

go into msconfig ( services and start up ) and shut off everything that you don't need for gaming. that would include skype, any anti virus..... ANYTHING/EVERYTHING

reboot. game. how's it now?
February 28, 2013 4:59:52 PM

u cud try running a game in windowed mode with task manager opened and see if anythign is eating up ur processes?
a c 105 U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 5:02:34 PM

is your 6850 a 1gig card? have you tried lowering you resolution?

have you updated the motherboard drivers. have you updated the BIOS?
February 28, 2013 5:05:11 PM

melonsarecool said:
My headset is different to my microphone, it also happens when im not online, I only only included the skype thing as it might help find a cause to the problem, all my driver's are installed and up to date. I also have a wired mouse and keyboard as im presuming this is the next thing you will ask


I wasn't going to ask, but good to know. I've had issues with a wireless keyboard that would bluescreen my computer if I didn't rip the dongle out of the usb port in time when the keyboard crashed. Awesome times...

You experience these slowdowns, but have you ever had any blue screens in relation to them?

Also, you just installed windows. What exactly have you installed along with it?



February 28, 2013 5:19:41 PM

oliverlausch said:
i meant that i dont know what my cpus temperature would be under 100% because i've not allowed to get that high. Yours has been cuz u know it so just saying thats kinda bad, not healthy for it.

plus if ur runnning loads of things at once in order to get ur cpu using loads, it will be slower as its used up more (thus decreasing fps rates)

connection online will affect fps, for instance once i had an incredibly bad connection for abit an tried to game with a hugely high ping, fps was like 3 at the time, because its getting data for the game online, an if it doesnt get it then it will be very slow fps because theres nothing to load

the fact that this happens on and offline says to me that its either your motherboard, ram or cpu, cpu normally doesn't go wrong much compared to motherboards, motherboards seem to go wrong more than any other part apart from GPU, but u've already ruled that out, and ur Power supply too.

U cud just take it to a technicians an have them check it out, idk about where u r but here i have a place where they will diagnose the problem free of charge, just look around u must have it too.

I'd say its the motherboard just because of experiences our compuers have had, like 9/10 its the motherboard sadly

advice for u would be to get a technician to check it out so u dont waste loads of money on buying new parts an finding its still the same problem, just get them to diagnose it then u can go from there.

hope ive been helpful, if i get somethign wrong im sorry, not great at this stuff xD



CPU was put under 100% load to test my aftermarket cooler, I also make youtube video's which requires them to render which ups it to 100% load. I obviously don't game with it on 100% load. To avoid any other questions like this, my cpu is probably at 30% when gaming. Thank's for the motherboard fix though, I will look to see if there is someone who can test it. If you live in the UK are their any chains who test them free? Like PC World?
February 28, 2013 5:20:21 PM

swifty_morgan said:
is your 6850 a 1gig card? have you tried lowering you resolution?

have you updated the motherboard drivers. have you updated the BIOS?

If you read my post it explains that im not running a 6850
February 28, 2013 5:21:02 PM

swifty_morgan said:
go into msconfig ( services and start up ) and shut off everything that you don't need for gaming. that would include skype, any anti virus..... ANYTHING/EVERYTHING

reboot. game. how's it now?



Still drops.
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 5:27:02 PM

Can you post your MOBO model?

The reason I ask is that you have 12gb RAM, and it is likely that your MOBO supports dual channel, I have heard that a dual channel MOBO will run fine with an odd number of sticks, but I have also seen many issues solved by simply changing the RAM to a supported set.

You could try running with only 2 sticks.
February 28, 2013 5:49:09 PM

chugot9218 said:
Can you post your MOBO model?

The reason I ask is that you have 12gb RAM, and it is likely that your MOBO supports dual channel, I have heard that a dual channel MOBO will run fine with an odd number of sticks, but I have also seen many issues solved by simply changing the RAM to a supported set.

You could try running with only 2 sticks.



MOBO Model is rather strange as this is obviously a custom build but the box I have is different to the lil' picture thing that comes up when I turn the computer on, so this is the one I have the box for : ASUS M4N68T V2

... and i'll post the one that comes on startup after i've taken out my RAM
a c 125 U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 5:53:47 PM

How many RAM sticks are you using? 12GB is an odd number for dual channel. RAM can definitely cause this issue, by the way.

February 28, 2013 5:59:29 PM

wolfram23 said:
How many RAM sticks are you using? 12GB is an odd number for dual channel. RAM can definitely cause this issue, by the way.

3 x 4gb sticks, if it is RAM you are a lifesaver, maybe shouldn't have re-installed windows, 71 updates I'm currently sitting through... Wooo
February 28, 2013 6:01:23 PM

Motherboard is actually not that, just opened my case and it says ASUS M5A7BL
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 6:04:21 PM

Hum, What other devices do you have hooked up?

(If for instance you have an anti virus that likes to scan whatever is plugged in automagically and you have a semi faulty usb port or usb flash drive so it disconnects and reconnects... well you see where I am going with this...)

Does this happen with a completely clean fresh install of windows with just the updates + drivers + game and no anti virus/firewall/anti malware/etc

Oh and thats the wrong model number, that mobo only has two ram slots.

Edit: ah, ASUS M5A7BL that looks to be the right one. Hmmm, maybe try turning of C'n'Q? Grasping at straws here.
a c 125 U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 6:12:12 PM

melonsarecool said:
3 x 4gb sticks, if it is RAM you are a lifesaver, maybe shouldn't have re-installed windows, 71 updates I'm currently sitting through... Wooo


That's probably the issue, then. You need either 2 or 4 sticks to run dual channel. By running 3 sticks you're now only running single channel RAM which is a massive downgrade. Now what happens is you're moving along in the game and it has to load a bunch of stuff into and out of your RAM - boom, bottlenecked, kill fps.

Run it with 8GB (1 in each coloured pair of RAM channels, usually starting with the 2nd away from the CPU and then the 4th furthest away from CPU)
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 6:18:15 PM

Question #1 Why are you running black edition at stock speeds?
Advise #1 Clock that baby all the way to 4 Ghz. Disable turbo and all the energy saving bullsit
Question #2 Seriously 3 memory sticks? The older motherboards had always had issues with more memory sticks.
Advise#2 Keep it simple get rid of one stick. Make sure you have remaining 2 sticks ion correct slots...usually 2 and 4 or 1 and 3 look it up in the manual.

If that does not resolve your issues then the only thing left is your software.
Does the microstutter happen when you run only the game without the recording software?
February 28, 2013 6:18:46 PM

If it is this for some reason then why would it drop from 70 to 5 whilst staring at a wall?
February 28, 2013 6:36:45 PM

maxinexus said:
Question #1 Why are you running black edition at stock speeds?
Advise #1 Clock that baby all the way to 4 Ghz. Disable turbo and all the energy saving bullsit
Question #2 Seriously 3 memory sticks? The older motherboards had always had issues with more memory sticks.
Advise#2 Keep it simple get rid of one stick. Make sure you have remaining 2 sticks ion correct slots...usually 2 and 4 or 1 and 3 look it up in the manual.

If that does not resolve your issues then the only thing left is your software.
Does the microstutter happen when you run only the game without the recording software?


I did have it running at 3.7ghz after 3.9 it crashed, I'm a complete noob when it comes to oc'ing and also a complete noob with computers really, only just started to put more interest into them so obviously I wouldn't know about the old motherboards having issues :p  currently installing updates on 39/71 gonna be a whole but I will remove 1 of my sticks and boot up and post the results here :)  and yes the stutter happens even if I have everything besides the game closed
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 6:54:17 PM

Just make sure the 2 you leave are in the correct slots, they are usually same odd/even numbered slots (slot 1 and slot 3 or slot 2 and slot 4, I think Asus will be 1 and 3 but I have seen Gigabyte I believe do 2 and 4 as the first pair).
February 28, 2013 7:01:42 PM

Yeah I can see its 1 and 3 :)  thanks for the help, will post results after updates....
February 28, 2013 7:49:40 PM

Okay, restarted, no fps drops, however im now only running crysis 3 at 30-40fps when I was running it at 70+
February 28, 2013 7:59:37 PM

Spoke too soon, fps dropped after framerate came back. However I have noticed the 'noise' of my PC changes when the drop happens if that means anything, it sounds like a fan slowing down as the pitch gets lower.
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 8:03:37 PM

Have you been running any GPU monitoring software? Can you post your exact RAM models, HWMonitor or CPU-Z may give you this.
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 8:11:24 PM

melonsarecool said:
Okay, i've had this problem for around a year now. I never used to game much on my PC as I had a Xbox 360, I make gaming videos on YouTube and my card used to work fine. About a year back I had an issue on my Radeon HD 6850 with any game I play. I assumed it was a problem with the hardware in the card because it was just out of warranty, I didn't use it much so I left it for a year. About 2-3 weeks ago my new Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz edition arrived, I also sold my Xbox 360 thinking I would switch to PC gaming.

Anyway, the problem persisted, the problem in its best way of describing it, is I can be doing anything in a game, running through a huge battle in Crysis 3, or staring at a wall on ArmA and my frame rate will go from 70+ down to anything from 5-15 fps.

Obviously I can now rule out my 7970 as it is brand new, I can also rule out my HDD (formatted yesterday along with a clean install of windows), it is NOT a driver issue, as it is a continuation of a problem I've had for around a years worth of drivers. It is NOT my system overheating as everything is running at around 30 degrees. My GPU raises to 50-55 degrees when under load. My processor which is clocked at 3.3Ghz goes to around 40 degrees under 100% load.

(Everything run's nice and cool because of my NZXT Phantom Case :) )

So, what is the issue? My friend reported to me that my voice whilst on skype wen't 'stuttery' or 'laggy' whilst I was experiencing a lag spike.My microphone is plugged directly into my motherboard through USB 2.0 which has lead me to believe that because my motherboard didn't quite reach the screw-holes in my case so we had to bend it a little (bad I know and it wasn't anything major, more just putting pressure on it so it would fit) but could this have affected my system just a minimal amount in such a way that it could possibly cause the intermittent, absolutely random FPS drops?

My system is 64bit if anyone was wondering and I have 12gb of DDR3 RAM installed clocked at 1333mhz. My processor is the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition. I think that is all the information you need :)  if any of you know a tool where I can simply paste my specs in it would be easier but I think it's all there, if not then let me know :) 

Any help?!?!

My main question is, could the motherboard be causing this? if yes, it's on its way out!


It doesn't seem that anyone is really helping your out here. I had an issue with FPS drop on my old motherboard while I was using the AMD 1100T and that was caused by the PCIE lanes being maxed out. What is the exact model of your motherboard? Is it an OEM board? Do you have any other devices plugged into your board? Sound card? USB card? Anything? Please give me your FULL system specifications.
February 28, 2013 8:15:27 PM

I have no idea what you are asking me to do sorry, I have CPU-Z.
a c 105 U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 8:18:34 PM

did you disable the Hybrid graphics in the BIOS?
February 28, 2013 8:21:21 PM

jkhoward said:
It doesn't seem that anyone is really helping your out here. I had an issue with FPS drop on my old motherboard while I was using the AMD 1100T and that was caused by the PCIE lanes being maxed out. What is the exact model of your motherboard? Is it an OEM board? Do you have any other devices plugged into your board? Sound card? USB card? Anything? Please give me your FULL system specifications.


Okay, Case open, What I have inside.

2 x DDR3 Corsair XMS3 clocked at factory clock which I believe is 1333mhz
1 x Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Vapor Z Edition
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition
Cooler Master 700W (I know its below the reccomended for the card but it runs fine ((besides the frame drops)) and I also had the problem with my old 6850 so I know it isnt that.

1 500gb HDD not sure what make or speed
ASUS M5A78L
1 DVD Reader/Writer Drive
and 1 Wi-Fi card which isnt pushed all the way in because the motherboard is sunk into the case too far for it to fit and come out the end of my case (Like I said I had this problem before hand so it isnt that)
a c 191 U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 8:21:43 PM

What is the brand and model (not just wattage) of your PSU?
Check your BIOS message to make sure you're running in dual-channel mode. On my Asus boards, RAM must be in adjacent slots, not alternate ones, for dual channel. Still, that should only make a 5%-7% difference.
Do you have plenty of disk space? When you get the lag spikes, is your hard drive light solid? Your swap file could have a bad spot in it. Delete the swap file. Reboot. Recreate the swap file.
I know you said you have the latest drivers; does that include your graphics card? The ones on AMD's site will be newer than what came with your card. Months ago, my own HD7870 would arbitrarily drop back down to 2D clocks sometimes, causing horrible lags and jitters. Fortunately, the most recent couple of driver updates seem to have fixed that problem.
Edit: Saw your message about the PSU. While this doesn't seem like a power problem (there'd be other symptoms, likely including crashes) that CM is unlikely to be good for any more than 500W, and that may not be too clean. Monitor the temperature of air coming out of it, and if it's really warm (or if its fan is really screaming), replace it sooner rather than later.
February 28, 2013 8:21:53 PM

swifty_morgan said:
did you disable the Hybrid graphics in the BIOS?


Disable what?
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 8:23:04 PM

melonsarecool said:
I have no idea what you are asking me to do sorry, I have CPU-Z.


Did you build your computer yourself?

Can your provide me information like this?

http://12tronics.com/index.php?/topic/5-phantom/

I need to know every single component that you have in your computer. Your exact motherboard model . . . for instance I have the Asus Sabertooth Z77 and the Asrock H77M and so much more . . . :bounce: 

February 28, 2013 8:28:25 PM

jkhoward said:
Did you build your computer yourself?

Can your provide me information like this?

http://12tronics.com/index.php?/topic/5-phantom/

I need to know every single component that you have in your computer. Your exact motherboard model . . . for instance I have the Asus Sabertooth Z77 and the Asrock H77M and so much more . . . :bounce: 


I just replied with that information
February 28, 2013 8:32:48 PM

Onus said:
What is the brand and model (not just wattage) of your PSU?
Check your BIOS message to make sure you're running in dual-channel mode. On my Asus boards, RAM must be in adjacent slots, not alternate ones, for dual channel. Still, that should only make a 5%-7% difference.
Do you have plenty of disk space? When you get the lag spikes, is your hard drive light solid? Your swap file could have a bad spot in it. Delete the swap file. Reboot. Recreate the swap file.
I know you said you have the latest drivers; does that include your graphics card? The ones on AMD's site will be newer than what came with your card. Months ago, my own HD7870 would arbitrarily drop back down to 2D clocks sometimes, causing horrible lags and jitters. Fortunately, the most recent couple of driver updates seem to have fixed that problem.
Edit: Saw your message about the PSU. While this doesn't seem like a power problem (there'd be other symptoms, likely including crashes) that CM is unlikely to be good for any more than 500W, and that may not be too clean. Monitor the temperature of air coming out of it, and if it's really warm (or if its fan is really screaming), replace it sooner rather than later.


No idea about dual channel mode, will look when I start my computer up tomorrow, got plenty of disk space 400+gb. Once again,computer noob, no idea what swap file is. GFX drivers are up to date . Temperatures out of my PSu seem to be lower tha that of my hand because they seem cool to the touch.
February 28, 2013 8:37:40 PM

swifty_morgan said:
did you disable the Hybrid graphics in the BIOS?

Just found what you were talking about and yes it is disabled. I take it it should be?
February 28, 2013 8:53:59 PM

Onus said:
What is the brand and model (not just wattage) of your PSU?
Check your BIOS message to make sure you're running in dual-channel mode. On my Asus boards, RAM must be in adjacent slots, not alternate ones, for dual channel. Still, that should only make a 5%-7% difference.
Do you have plenty of disk space? When you get the lag spikes, is your hard drive light solid? Your swap file could have a bad spot in it. Delete the swap file. Reboot. Recreate the swap file.
I know you said you have the latest drivers; does that include your graphics card? The ones on AMD's site will be newer than what came with your card. Months ago, my own HD7870 would arbitrarily drop back down to 2D clocks sometimes, causing horrible lags and jitters. Fortunately, the most recent couple of driver updates seem to have fixed that problem.
Edit: Saw your message about the PSU. While this doesn't seem like a power problem (there'd be other symptoms, likely including crashes) that CM is unlikely to be good for any more than 500W, and that may not be too clean. Monitor the temperature of air coming out of it, and if it's really warm (or if its fan is really screaming), replace it sooner rather than later.


Okay here is a link to the picture I snapped at my computer startup, () I take it unganged mode isn't good, I moved the RAM around and it won't change.

P.S I know it goes off the creen that's an issue with my monitor and it has to be scaled up from 1080p a little bit even though the screen is 1080p :p 
a c 105 U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 9:02:17 PM

melonsarecool said:
Just found what you were talking about and yes it is disabled. I take it it should be?


yes, it should be.

is it possible to try another processor on that board?
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 9:02:46 PM

melonsarecool said:
Okay, Case open, What I have inside.

2 x DDR3 Corsair XMS3 clocked at factory clock which I believe is 1333mhz
1 x Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Vapor Z Edition
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition
Cooler Master 700W (I know its below the reccomended for the card but it runs fine ((besides the frame drops)) and I also had the problem with my old 6850 so I know it isnt that.

1 500gb HDD not sure what make or speed
ASUS M5A78L
1 DVD Reader/Writer Drive
and 1 Wi-Fi card which isnt pushed all the way in because the motherboard is sunk into the case too far for it to fit and come out the end of my case (Like I said I had this problem before hand so it isnt that)


Sorry about that. I must of have posted that without refreshing the page or you posted it just as I posted mine.

The Sapphire 7970 GHZ Edition is a PCIE 3.0 card and your motherboard is PCIE 2.0. I actually did some testing on my motherboard with my 7970 and found out that running the PCIE lanes in PCIE 2.0 does actually bottleneck the 7970 and my motherboard was designed for gaming. Your motherboard on the other hand is most likely your bottleneck other than your hard drive. You may want to replace the motherboard and because it probably isn't supplying the AMD 1100T with enough power because of the 4-pin cpu power connector. Also, you need to get a new case or new components. Having any PCI/PCIE cards lose while the system is running is a horrible idea and it can cause electrical issues that will destroy your computer. Get a new motherboard for cheap that offers the latest 990 north bridge and is more geared towards gaming. AMD does not yet offer support for PCIE 3.0 unfortunately.
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 9:03:58 PM

Also, if you have two sticks of memory in your computer you are running in dual channel mode regardless of which slot the ram is in.
a c 105 U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 9:08:47 PM

jkhoward said:
Also, if you have two sticks of memory in your computer you are running in dual channel mode regardless of which slot the ram is in.


and you read that where?
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 9:20:46 PM

swifty_morgan said:
and you read that where?


I am not here to argue with someone other than the creator of this topic. On 99% of today's motherboards they support dual channel memory. Very few motherboards offer BIOS options to disable Dual Channel Memory. If the board has two slots then 99% of the time it will be in Dual Channel Memory. If you have four slots we are talking about a different story. If you were bright enough to look at the motherboard model listed by melons you would see that it only has two RAM slots.

Thanks.
a c 105 U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 9:44:28 PM

jkhoward said:
I am not here to argue with someone other than the creator of this topic. On 99% of today's motherboards they support dual channel memory. Very few motherboards offer BIOS options to disable Dual Channel Memory. If the board has two slots then 99% of the time it will be in Dual Channel Memory. If you have four slots we are talking about a different story. If you were bright enough to look at the motherboard model listed by melons you would see that it only has two RAM slots.


I read this........
"MOBO Model is rather strange as this is obviously a custom build but the box I have is different to the lil' picture thing that comes up when I turn the computer on, so this is the one I have the box for : ASUS M4N68T V2"

and found this....
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=w...
Thanks.


and I read this...........

"How many RAM sticks are you using? 12GB is an odd number for dual channel. RAM can definitely cause this issue, by the way."

and read this reply........

3 x 4gb sticks, if it is RAM you are a lifesaver, maybe shouldn't have re-installed windows, 71 updates I'm currently sitting through... Wooo

and when is the last time ANY board manual didn't list what slots the memory had to be in to work in dual channel mode?

I don't want to accuse anybody of not reading but...................... up yours!
a c 105 U Graphics card
February 28, 2013 9:45:54 PM

now OP............ can you put an older processor on that board?
a c 191 U Graphics card
March 1, 2013 12:15:02 AM

A loose card in a board is indeed a danger to the system, but it also begs the question, is the mobo mounted on standoffs? There MUST be either a standoff OR a built-in raised bump on the mobo tray at EVERY point there is a mounting hole, and NO standoff where there is no hole.
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 1, 2013 1:30:44 AM

melonsarecool said:
Okay, Case open, What I have inside.

2 x DDR3 Corsair XMS3 clocked at factory clock which I believe is 1333mhz
1 x Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Vapor Z Edition
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition
Cooler Master 700W (I know its below the reccomended for the card but it runs fine ((besides the frame drops)) and I also had the problem with my old 6850 so I know it isnt that.

1 500gb HDD not sure what make or speed
ASUS M5A78L
1 DVD Reader/Writer Drive
and 1 Wi-Fi card which isnt pushed all the way in because the motherboard is sunk into the case too far for it to fit and come out the end of my case (Like I said I had this problem before hand so it isnt that)



Sounds like the RAM thing was one part of the issue.

Now, there can be issues I don't know about... but first, I think you should definitely get into your BIOS and check the RAM settings. I've heard that anything faster than 1333mhz can be problematic.

From there, I think it would be smart to do a clean AMD driver install, especially since you upgraded. Completely uninstall Catalyst drivers, then run Driver Fusion http://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion to 100% remove AMD Display Drivers (be careful which one you select!). After that, reboot and install the newest CCC drivers: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/rad...
!