Most powerful PCI GPU (non express)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noobpc

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
I know PCI cards nowadays are very low end and not very powerful for gaming. But i play a VERY old game called Team Fortress Classic (made 1999).

It is intensely fun and addicting and i was looking to see if i can gain a little bit of boost to my experience as well as gain a little bit of hardware experience.

My mobo is stock from a Dell Dimension 2400 and it only has PCI slots (no PCIe) so the current video card i have for it is an nvidia geforce 6200.

What is the most powerful PCI gpu i could get?

I have been looking at the nvidia GT 520, as that looks like it's better than my current geforce.

Thanks guys

Battleraiser

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Ill be honest.. You are wasting your money investing in a computer with a normal PCI slot. You can build a new PCIe ready computer with a multi core AMD processor, and decent graphics card so cheap nowadays..

xomm

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011

The 520 is a PCI Express card. EDIT: Apparently ZOTAC also made PCI versions, but they seem all but gone from the world. Ebay still has a few though.

Your best bet would probably be one of these two, but buying factory-new versions of these cards is horrible price/performance.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500262
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814139050

Really, you're [strike]pretty[/strike] very overdue for a new rig, and the amount of hardware experience you'll gain is next to zip. (Open case, take out old card, put in new card, close case).

MC_K7

Distinguished
The GTX-680 PCI version is pretty good, although a little bit bottlenecked by the PCI bus...

Nah, just kidding, that doesn't exist.

I did a quick search on Newegg and looks like they're still selling some PCI cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600007853&IsNodeId=1&name=PCI

I don't know which one would be the best for you though... And I would be hesitant to spend money on such an old architecture. Might as well save the money for a new system eventually.

thymanbearpig

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
Take it from me. I still have my own Dimension 2400, and I had upgraded it to 1.5GB RAM + 8400GS for $72 about a year and a half ago, that's because I thought I didn't need a new computer. I was 14 back then so I didn't really have my own money or a form of online payment, but now I know if I was in the same situation I'd build a new computer.

You can build a new computer that'll perform better than that 2400 ever will for about $250. Maybe someone can suggest you a cheap build, I can't because I'm at school.. :p

Is there a reason you can't build a cheap new build?

ryan5609

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Upgrade your entire PC or do nothing. Simple as that. There is only so much you can do for an aging dinosaur. I would not invest $1 in a PC that is that old. Save up and buy a new PC. It's gotta happen some time, and you seem to be more patient than most people in regards to upgrades.

Noobpc

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
The reason i am upgrading my old CPU is because i want to get a little experience upgrading new parts before i actually go out and buy a new build. At the same time, i am also a student so i have very little money and i really only play TFC.

With that being said, i appreciate all of your responses! They are very helpful.

In my quest for pci performance, i have come across nvidia geforce 8400 and GT 610 suggested by you guys. Which of those two are more powerful? I did some researching and it seems i cannot use anything made by AMD/ATI because they do not support shader model 3, which i need for another game (i might be wrong).

xomm

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011

The GT 610 is essentially a rebadged GT 520, and will give you access to some newer technologies (namely DX11), but considering the low power, I doubt you'll be able to make much use of it. Stat-wise, the 9400 seems like a more powerful card than the 610 and 5450 (http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=610&card2=650 and http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=610&card2=625), but someone else will have to confirm/refute that.

They all support at least Shader Model 4.0, from what I've seen though.

Noobpc

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Thanks!! I guess i will go for the 9500, since it appears to be the most powerful PCI card.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does the memory amount in the gpu description mean? Exampple, I see some video card nvidia xxxx with 512mb. What is that 512 meaning?

I think i also want ot upgrade my processor from the pentium 4 2.53Ghz to the 3.06.

'What is that 512 meaning?"

means 512 MB of dedicated ram just for graphics. this is Ram that the GPU will use to help render the graphics without using system ram.

"I think i also want ot upgrade my processor from the pentium 4 2.53Ghz to the 3.06."

NOOOOO! I understand that you want to learn but there is no seance in throwing money in the wind. Example my old Core 2 duo E4500. i wanted to upgrade the CPU but the only one that was worth upgrading to was the Q6600. But at the $225 -$300 price range I got a AMD CPU and Board for the same price. there was half my build cost. I hope you can see where I am tryng to go with this.

the only way it would be worth upgrading the CPU is if the new one was free. A GPU is a bit different, It can be put in a new build. the CPU can not. Like i said before don't just throw money at it. Its a money pit right now.

1) You really shouldn't spend $90 on a graphics card upgrade when that same $90 spent on a graphics card in a new computer would give 4-5 times the power.

2) Stop worrying about "giving yourself hardware experience." Save up, buy the parts, then go to youtube and find a good video. (I like newegg's and ncix's.) Watch the video all the way through, then watch it again, pausing to complete each step on your build.

All it takes is a screwdriver - computers are like LEGOs for adults. There's NOTHING to be afraid of, nor any reason to think that swapping graphics cards would make you more prepared for building a computer.

You can build a computer for extremely cheaply now - and get WAY better performance. (Because again, you're wasting money by hunting for a PCI card. They'll be expensive because of their rarity, and that's a waste of money for something you won't be able to sell later.)

w1zz4

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

+1, upgrading a PCI GPU is a loss of money, you won't be able to reuse it and have no resell value... Buy a second hand compuer instead.

even todays most recent motherboards have PCI slots on them. so it can be reused although i agree its a waste of money.

give it a rest man, time to let go. i think, lets pretend that you found some gpu's for that, the difference between "the fastest" and the not-so-fast gpu for PCI in todays games would probably be 1fps. ok i may be exaggerating, but really, 3 words:

not worth it

w1zz4

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

Well for modern MB, it's 50/50. My current mobo don't have PCI. But yes you can find mobo with PCI slot, but would you really put a PCI card in a modern computer??? Welcome home bottleneck!

Noobpc

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Alright, then guys... I guess ill just stop upgrading this PC after my gpu. Ill just continue to play my old game until either

1. Noone plays it anymore
2. Or my computer finally dies. Had it for a good 10 years.

-----------------

I do want to build my next computer though. The only problem is i have no idea where to start. I know that most mobos nowadays use PCI-e slots (right)? But i am so in the dark as to figure out which mobo will fit in which case, and what components to put into the mobo. And even which mobo to use.

How did you guys start? Just google everything piece by piece, or is there a guide you would recommend?

Thanks

xomm

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011

That's why standards exist (e.g. ATX mobos fit in ATX cases with ATX PSUs, Socket 1155 CPUs go in Socket 1155 mobos, etc.) As for what parts to use, that all depends on your needs.

Whenever you're ready to take the plunge, just make another thread (as that would technically be going off this thread's topic), and people will help.

LegendsXXX

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

Ok, I'm also building a legacy PC to play my old games on. Such as Xwing95 & Xwing Alliance. Now, I see a lot of people saying "build a new pc & play your old games on it"..... thats ignorant & I'll tell you why. Case in point, Xwing 95, Xwing was originally a DOS only game, after Windows 95 was released they did make a windows launcher for it. Now the problem is the game is 32 bit... but the installer is only 16 bit. Windows stopped supporting 16 bit programs in Windows Vista. So, if you have a new computer with windows vista or newer on it.... your not playing any Xwing 95 or Xwing Alliance without doing a lot of extra configurations & downloading non official patches. Now, This computer I'm on now is an 4.0 GHz, 8 Core Amd FX 8350. I have 16 GB of DDR3 1600 RAM, I have an overclocked ATI 7970 Radeon HD with 3 GB of DDR5 on it, and I also use dual 24" LED monitors.

So, please tell me to build a new PC to play these old games on......
I have even tried virtualization to play these games, VirtualBox & VMware's Workstation 10 will install the game, but glitches the 3d graphics when you try to play these games in the virtual machine, so its unplayable.

If you don't believe me though, go out & download a virtual machine, install windows xp or windows 98, download the Xwing95 ISO & get Daemon Tools Lite, then install it & let me know if you were able to get it to run as smoothly in an emulator as it does on a PC from that time period.

I also have 2 other modern PC's in my house with quad core processors, 8GB of RAM or more, and Windows 7, so my other 2 PC's won't play these old games either.
So, I'm building a Pentium D system that also is lacking a AGP port so I have to find a PCI card. Now looking at the video card technology of the day it looks like if you want a real, legacy, year 2000 computer you should look for the video cards that were released at that time (b/c they will support the older technology these games use)

Here is a link that talks about a few of the High end video cards offered back then. It looks like there are even 3dfx VooDoo 4 cards that should work for you. However, since your on an old legacy system it will only be able to play your old legacy games. Not new ones.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/graphics2

Anyway, Keep building your legacy machine. They are fun & you will enjoy playing those old games the way they are meant to be played.

^ ...except that means that you're going to be throwing away as much money as you might spend for a brand new computer that can also run NEW games... and getting less than a tenth of the performance. Sure, it can run that one specific game that brings you nostalgia from your childhood, but it will be a horrible waste of money for ANYTHING ELSE.

bucknutty

Distinguished
You can get old GPUs on ebay. Vodoo rush card for like 5 bucks...

Why not just get an old HDD plug it into your new system and install dos. switch 1 sata cable betweent the dos hdd and the modern windows 1 and Now you have best of both worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS