gowtham_98

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Friends,
My requirement is, My cisco 3560 need to boot IOS from TFTP first before checking the Flash. Everytime when it boots the same should happen. I successfully done in routers the same but for switches someone help me by giving step by step procedures. Thanks in advance for any solutions.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I think this will help you out:

Make sure that you have a proper console connection between your PC/laptop and target switch (using a rollover cable and adapter). The terminal software is set with 9600-8N1.
- Set up a tftp server with:
server IP address: 192.168.xxx.4, and
listening on port: 69 (replace xxx with the vlan you are using in all instances).
- Set the default tftp file directory to the location where your IOS resides.

Configuring a 3560 Switch:
To configure a 3560 or 3560G switch, do as follows.
- Ensure the prerequisites outlined in section 2.1 have been satisfied.
- Connect a Cat 5 cable from your tftp server (probably the same PC/laptop for console access) to FastEthernet port 1 (Fa0/1) on the target switch.

- Type enable to enter the enable mode.
- Enter config terminal to enter the configuration mode.
- Type vlan xxx to define the temporarily VLAN database.
- Key in interface vlan xxx to setup the VLAN interface
- Type ip address 192.168.xxx.10 255.255.255.0 to setup the VLAN xxx interface address.
- Enter no shutdown to activate the VLAN.
- Enter the following:
Switch(config-if)# interface fa0/1
Switch(config-if)# switchport mode access
Switch(config-if)# switchport access vlan xxx
Switch(config-if)# no shutdown
Switch(config-if)# end

- At this point, you should be able to ping 192.168.xxx.10 and 192.168.xxx.4 (tftp server) from the console. Be aware it may take up to 30 seconds for the new VLAN (xxx) to come up. Do not proceed until you can perform both these pings successfully.

- You will now install the IOS for a 3560
If it is a newly procured switch, type (all on a single line) :
Switch# archive download-sw /force-reload /imageonly /safe
tftp://192.168.xxx.4/IOS_File_name.tar

If it is a production switch that is currently deployed and is being upgraded, type:
Switch# archive download-sw /force-reload /imageonly /leave-old-sw
tftp://192.168.xxx.4/IOS_File_Name.tar

* The first option replaces the IOS image that the switch shipped with (or was on it during its previous deployment) with the addition of the /safe option. The second option adds the new approved IOS image to a switch using the /leave-old-sw option; and is the preferred method for production switches in the field.

- The switch will automatically reload (reboot) once it has completed the procedure and you should ensure the correct IOS has been loaded by typing #sh ver after switch reloads.

* If you can get your hands on a Cisco TFTP Server it would be best, but Solarwinds will be ok also.

gowtham_98

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Buddy,
Thanks for the reply I'll try it. My question is everytime i reboot will the switch take IOS from TFTP? And any boot system commands or ROMMON commands not there for the same? Please confirm.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Yes it will, the IOS is the switches OS without it it will not run. If you really want to assure yourself you can delete the old IOS version before you reload switch but after the new IOS is on it. I highly recomend you don't delete the old IOS until you have installed the new one and checked that it is installed (#sh ver), otherwise you may need to restore the switch (which is a timeconsuming but can be done).

Get the IOS installed and reload the switch, then check the version installed. If you feel unsure reload again and check it again. When you are done doing all that, log onto it and delete the old version to free up some space if you need to.