HDMI + VGA Dual Monitor setup not working?

magsley

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Hello,

I've recently acquired a monitor from a family member who wasn't using it anymore. Its a 4:3 LG Flatron with a VGA cable hookup. My main monitor is a 1920 x 1080 HP 2509m, which uses HDMI. Its my at-home "workstation" and I'd really enjoy a dual monitor setup for better efficiency.

The problem is, when I plug the VGA cable into the DVI adapter, nothing happens! The monitor is detected under Screen Resolution, but any change I make has no effect. If I turn the VGA monitor off then back on, it just says "Monitor Going to Sleep" and then sleeps. I can drag windows over to the second screen, but nothing appears on the VGA monitor.

Any ideas on what to do?

- Magsley

Specs:
GPU: Geforce GTX 660
CPU: Intel i7-3770K Ivy bridge
RAM: 16 GB

I am not sure about the gtx 660, but some cards share a DVI port with the HDMI.

Could you try the other DVI port for the monitor(assuming the screen can take DVI. HP says it should).

So DVI -> VGA on one port(should only fit on one since it is an analog adapter) and DVI for the other screen.

magsley

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
I went into the BIOS and enabled multi monitor support, but it didn't work... like the computer wouldn't start up normally with it enabled. I had to uncheck it to get the computer to start up and show the Windows splash and login.

I'm not sure if that was trying to run it off the intel graphics or not...

I was having a friend help me and he couldn't even figure it out. The cable isn't bad as it worked with another monitor. I'm thinking maybe its just not going to work at all...