hdd recommendation

marius

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2002
I'm considering buying a new 60gb hard drive.
I was thinking about the 740x Maxtor, but people says
it gets noisy after a while, and they fear it can crash suddenly because of that.
None recommends on IBM these days, because of the high rate of malfunctions.
Also, I've had only bad experiences with WD, and I've no idea about Seagate.
Anyone can recommend on a good 7200rpm 60gb ide hard drive ?

Thanks in advance!

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I would go with the Maxtor drive. If there were any problems with the series then we would have heard more about them, because they have been out for awhile.

From the looks of your options you have given yourself you really haven't given yourself too much room.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'd also recommend Maxtor.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

I would also recomend the maxtor. I have two of the ATA133 ones in a raid. Their noise is drowned out by the CPU fan. I will say that I have had one IBM hard drive fail (the 307045) I delt directly with IBM and their RMA service was excellent (the replacement drive was sent overnight from Mylasia(however you spell that)).

May Fortune Favor The Foolish

Owl

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
Just my 2 cents.....
Maxtor......

<font color=blue>Join THG UD TEAM WE NEED YOUR HELP NOW</font color=blue>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Do you see a trend? :)

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I hope you end up loving your drive from now on. Cheers!

Rob

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
IBM 60GXP.
Not if you plan on running the drive at all hard over any period longer than 1 year.... These drives are notorious for failing after a year or two - sure it is under warranty still, but with all the trouble and possible lost data, time and money (work), it is not worth it.

Yes the 75GXP's were the first to show problems, but the 60GXP's are maturing and evidencing similar (or worse) issues. Now the 120GXP is out with a warning from IBM not to run it continuously more than 8-10hrs. per day.

WD 120GB JB is the best drive available (but expensive). Maxtor ATA133's for everyone else.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

Thing is, you guys were saying,

"The 60GXP is going to fail! Within a year!"

Now it's,

"Failing after a year or two".

Now I've had my 60GXPs for 9 months. If the [-peep-] hits the fan then ok. I can't stop it happening, but I'm not going to replace it with a drive with less credibility. By this I mean...who has used a 740 or a JB for more than a year?

Very few I reckon...

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
First of all, I used to recommend the 60GXPs as, hands-down, the best IDE drives available. But they have proven not to outlast their warranty in heavy use or warm environments. The Maxtors and WD have never had a history of these kinds of problems - IBM has. 60GXPs are falling like flies - read the threads. I have always considered a new hard drive to be inherently reliable and expect them to last at least the length of the warranty. With IBM still having extremely high warranty replacement percentages compared to the rest of the industry, I would steer clear for the time being.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
How could you even recommend a hard drive brand that still has one of it's series in leagal battles cause it's a piece of SH*T?

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

Sir, I recommend by experience.

I was dissed on the K7S5A issue and we <b>finally</b> realised that although the mobo is picky about the memory and PSU that is used with it, it's a solid mobo, when set-up correctly.

Like I said, when my drives fail, I can do nothing about it, but I'll not replace a drive with "no track record" for a another. Maybe I'll get to be the only one who uses them, and I'll still recommend them if they work for me.

Is the 60GXP in the legal battle?
When it is, I'll stop recommending it. Car manufacturers and computer manufacturers alike have issued models which from time to time get recalled. It shows that the company got it wrong and that's not good. The fact that they went ahead and didn't change the model name (GXP), says to me that they have confidence in the product.

IMHO.

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Isn't the 60GXP and the 120GXP have a time limit for it's use? They had a recommendation of how long that they should be in use didn't they? The 60GXP isn't in a leagal battle at this time ... but don't we all hope that it doesn't get that far?

Anyhow ... every consumer has their own things they look at before buying a product. Either way you have your own opinion and we all have our own.

I strickly had a question, but I understand that I could have probably put it a little nicer and well rounded then what I did, and I'm sorry.

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Isn't the 60GXP and the 120GXP have a time limit for it's use?
If you check <A HREF="http://www.storagereview.com" target="_new">storage review</A> they claim to have it from IBM that the power on hours is not a reccomendation but an indication of "normal use"?? Meaning I think that they anticipate the drive being used in desktop systems where the machine will be switched off overnight.
In any event, this spec does seem very wierd and I think the amount of fuss over IBM drives at the moment is enough to say "steer clear".

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Best deal out there to my knowledge is the Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 60. This model comes in 20/40 and 60GB flavors, regardless of the "Plus 60" tag on the end.

It is the drive I will be replaceing my current Maxtor of 3-4years of use with.

Athlon XP 1700+,KT266A,Geforce3, Audigy.. 'nuff said.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I looked all over ibm's site and didnt see any mention of a "time on limit" I have a 60gxp 40 gig which has been on premanently for almost 12 months, not a single problem at all, I have quite a few friends with the same drives, also no problems, BUT, maybe time will tell, but since they are warrantied for 3 years it doesnt matter that much, drives normally give warning signs before they die, even if they dont, data loss due to drive failure is users fault for not backing up. (like I do it daily - NOT)

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
I looked all over ibm's site and didnt see any mention of a "time on limit"
Yep, as of 4/02 they removed that line from the Datasheet for the 120GXP. I guess they figured they were getting so much hassle about it they thought it best to delete it!! I have a printout of the old datasheet from 11/01 here and there is a line under Reliability saying

<i>Recommended power-on hours (monthly) 333 </i>

The only reason I can think to put that there is to say, don't use with drive 24/7, but according to conversations at <A HREF="http://www.storagereview.com" target="_new">storage review</A> IBM claim there is no problem to use the 120GXP drives 24/7. I dunno if their removing it from the spec sheet is for legal reasons - hahaa - or just to stop the floods of questions.
I'm sure there are IBM Desktar drives which run without any problems. A Dell desktop machine here at work has a 75GXP drive in it and it gets so hot I cannot touch it! Seems to be working okay I just wouldn't put any files on there that I cared about - prefer to stick to my D740Xs in RAID 0+1 thankyou.

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I believe IBM removed the 333 hour limit on the 120GXP because previous IBM owners like me,
would not buy it. They never placed the limit on the 60GXP.

:smile: <b><font color=green>I took an I.Q. test today...it came back negative.</font color=green></b> :smile: