1gb graphic card showing only 512mb

I know it is AMD, but the actual cards generally have another name on them as well.

The reason I ask this is because as I said, they only made a small handful of 1gigabyte 4870 cards. You may well just have a 512 megabyte card.

GPU-z will tell you once and for all EXACTLY what you have on the card.
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

G

I am having this same issue and unsure why. Now I know for a fact the video card I am using has 1gb ram. I know this for many reasons. 1 I can read the specs off the actual manufacturers website and for 2 I can go into the amd control center and read my hardware info and it says 1gb. I can even say that the card was placed into a xp machine and it also said 1gb ram. For some reason windows 7 sees this card as 512mb. Before any one say install the new driver well stop there because I am right now running on the most updated driver for the video card. I am just confused as to why windows 7 sees the card has having 512mb ram? Anyone care to try and figure this out let me know.

G

You asked me if I installed the latest version of the driver for the card. Well the cards latest driver is 13.1 and well the control center says that I have the latest version. I do click check updates and it says no updates are there. From what I can gather I have ran the dxdiag program and it shows that I have 1gb ram. If I go into the system information it shows that I have 512mb ram. This is even funnier when I used canirunit.com On a few games a alot of them said I had 512mb ram but when I checked a older type game then it said that I have 1.2gb ram. So what can cause this?

canirunit honestly does not work that well(or at least has not in the past), it showed my 4350 as having 2gigabytes of memory when it has like 128 or 256 megabytes + hypermemory(hypermemory uses system memory. either way it had very little actual memory.).

It honestly makes me wonder if some companies started using the hypermemory idea on 4850 cards to make them show 1gigabyte.

Google seems to show many users with 512 megabyte cards saying 1gigabyte in windows(some claiming it to be hypermemory).

G

So basically its the driver or the manufacturer that needs to do a update for this? I do understand what hypermemory is but really it makes no since that the card is showing up as 512 when it is a 1gb. its just weird. I have read many many people talking about the same thing like what you said so I know its not just due to just me. Any way to resolve this issue?

G

Okay thank you for trying to help. If I do figure out why and the real cause I be sure to come back here and let those that have also asked this what that is.