Closed Solved

GTX 680 or 670?

Hey Im planning on building my gaming computer and right now I'm going for the ASUS GTX 680 - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121634&nm_mc=AFC-C8junctionCA&cm_mmc=AFC-C8JunctionCA-_-Video+Cards-_-ASUS-_-14121634&AID=10592396&PID=3938566

People are saying it not worth the price and just go for a GTX 670. What I want to know if what is the difference? Should I stick with a GTX 680 and maybe downgrade, or go for a GTX 670?

Thanks
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. I just bought a EVGA GTX 680 SC. I tried to run Crysis 3 max settings and I was lagging pretty bad. Not sure the exact fps but below 30.
    It might be that the processor/ram or something is bottlenecking my system.

Specs:
    i7 3770 @ 3.4
    8GB RAM (cheap ram, not really for gaming, DDR3 im pretty sure though)
    GTX 680 2GB SC
    1TB 7200 rpm
  2. eklemmeck said:
    I just bought a EVGA GTX 680 SC. I tried to run Crysis 3 max settings and I was lagging pretty bad. Not sure the exact fps but below 30.
    It might be that the processor/ram or something is bottlenecking my system.

Use FXAA if you aren't already.

The difference certainly isn't worth the price, a decent 670 should overclock higher than a 680. Thats not to say a 680 doesn't overclock, but the difference is certainly minimal. If you consider the price difference between a top end 670 and a reference 680 the 670 is a far better buy, considering noise and heat the OC headroom is far greater.
  3. Well if you plan to play Crysis 3 maxed out you can't do it on any single gpu at 60 fps.. you might at 1080p with a titan... I have played the Alpha at ultra but i had to cut back on a few things
  4. cookybiscuit said:
    Use FXAA if you aren't already.

The difference certainly isn't worth the price, a decent 670 should overclock higher than a 680. Thats not to say a 680 doesn't overclock, but the difference is certainly minimal. If you consider the price difference between a top end 670 and a reference 680 the 670 is a far better buy, considering noise and heat the OC headroom is far greater.

I am using FXAA, I had to turn down the "Texture resolution" from Very high to high in order to play at a good frame rate. Though in some more open, busy areas of the campaign I still lag...
    Multi-player lags a lot less thankfully :)
  5. I'm also planning to get this GPU, would this run skyrim with many graphics enhancing mods?
  6. stevenw1234 said:
    I'm also planning to get this GPU, would this run skyrim with many graphics enhancing mods?

Provided you have a strong processor, yes easily. I use a 670 and Skyrim is at a constant 60FPS with a tonne of mesh, texture and lighting mods running in 3D (which halves framerate). Skyrim really isn't difficult to run.
  7. stevenw1234 said:
    I'm also planning to get this GPU, would this run skyrim with many graphics enhancing mods?

I was running Skyrim with HD texture packs maxed out on a GTX 650 Ti 2GB SSC, a GTX 660Ti or 670 might be what u want.
  8. 670 if you game at 1080 res or below. 680 4gb or 690/Titan if you game at 2560 x 1600 like me or multi display or better. Make sure you have the latest driver from Nvidia that helps with Crysis 3. I'm getting 50fps on ultra with 2 x 4gb 680s at 2560 x 1600, looks and plays fantastic, doesnt get much better.
  9. So should I stick with the GTX 680?
  10. Rockdpm said:
    Yes

Should I get that exact model or something lower like an EVGA?
  11. If you're doing a single monitor setup, I would reccomend a 670 setup since they're cheaper and the 680 is really not much better in performance maybe 3-4 more FPS honestly.

I can't really comment on dual monitor setup for the 670, but if you get two i'm sure you wouldn't have a problem running something decent.
  12. for 3 monitors in a multi monitor setup i recommend 3 670's
  13. Best answer
    Neeliyo said:
    Should I get that exact model or something lower like an EVGA?

If you want to do it on a single card.. your gonna need a dual GPU card.. or two 4GBcards.. you need more vram then 2GB for multi monitor gaming
  14. Rockdpm said:
    If you want to do it on a single card.. your gonna need a dual GPU card.. or two 4GBcards.. you need more vram then 2GB for multi monitor gaming

I'm planning on using one monitor.
  15. The 2GB will be plenty enough
  16. Best answer selected by Neeliyo.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Gaming Computers Asus Graphics