Lite-on 32x burner + Win98 = trouble

G

I'm trying to install a Lite-on 32x burner in my sisters IBM Aptiva which is using Win98 FE. It only has one available 5.25" bay so I removed her original CDrom drive, set the Lite-on as master and hooked it up. Windows starts loading to the splash screen and just hangs. Sometimes the progress bar moves and you can hear the HDD churning, sometimes the progress bar moves and there's no HDD activity, sometimes the progress bar freezes entirely and it just sits like that. I've let it sit like this for almost 10mins and it never does finish loading Windows. I have to CTRL+ALT+DEL to get out.

I looked in the BIOS to see if I could disable the splash screen so I could see what is happening during boot up but it's already set to "disable quiet boot" which shows as much of the boot process (just the POST) as it's going to.

I've booted into safe mode and the new burner seems to show in Device Manager as a "32x CDrom Drive" but nothing more specific. I tried uninstalling it and rebooting into Windows but it still never completes the boot process.

I've tried to boot into Windows using "bootlog.txt". It still fails and when I look at the bootlog.txt file in Safe-mode it shows that it fails booting as it starts to load Font files (specifically "Martlet").

If I remove the Lite-on drive, Windows loads fine. It also works if I put her original CDrom drive back in.

Anybody got any ideas? It's been over 2 years since I last used Win98 so maybe I'm forgetting something basic.

G

Spent about 4 more hrs this morning fruitlessly messing with this burner. Went and swapped for another one, this one was up and running in about 5 mins. First burner must have been fubar. That's why I use Plextors in my own rigs. I don't mind paying more for a higher quality product. Other people go for the price-point. You get what you pay for, I guess.