What the heck is up with Java?

I just did a clean install on a new hard drive tonight. I've installed Java no less than 4 frigging times and it keeps telling me "Missing plugins, blah blah, click here to install them".. I've never encountered this problem. Quite frankly, I hate java, always have.. but its a necessary evil as I need it to play my Runescape..

I have Windows Exploder disabled, I'm running Firefox 11. Whats up with this?

Edit: Java plugin does work on IE (I just re-enabled it), but it still does not work on Firefox, it says plugins are enabled in the Firefox menu, however when going to about:plugins, java is not listed.. Seriously, I have done nearly a dozen installs to date of Windows7, I have always used Internet Explorer on a fresh install for just enough time to download Firefox, I have never encountered this kind of difficulty making Java work on FF.

Solution

I'm using FF (most recent version 11.0) and have JAVA version6 Update 31 running just fine

Try going here from within Firefox and download and install it - or click on the Do I have JAVA ? link
under the download button to run a test to see if it is installed.

silverliquicity

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
I had a quick look for similar problems on this "runescape" game, apparently you can change the type of java enviroment, depending on the browser you use.

I have never played this but i hope this points you in the right direction =)

Thanks for trying to help.

The problem seems to be not limited to Runescape, Java simply will not install to FireFox. I don't understand why. Java works on IE. but its not on Firefox. If I go to about:plugins, its not there but if I go into add-ons, extensions, it does show Jave Console.. I guess my next step is to attempt a clean install of FF, but this is seriously something that just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm using FF (most recent version 11.0) and have JAVA version6 Update 31 running just fine

Try going here from within Firefox and download and install it - or click on the Do I have JAVA ? link
under the download button to run a test to see if it is installed.

Solution

Thanks all of you. I don't know what the problem was, I did a clean install of FF 11.0 and it did work. I normally use Firefox Nightly, but I have regular old FF just in case since something is hinky since Nightly is a dev build. Java is now working on both.