Computer won't stay on

mikeduf125

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
So whenever my graphics card (asus gtx 660) is plugged into my motherboard and I try and turn the computer on everything boots up for a second then off. It then continues to do this until I manually cut the power. I know the psu isnt the problem as the computer works when the 6 pin is plugged into the card and the card even displays a green light. It seems as though the card is shorting out and causing the psu to restart. Although it's probably hopeless is there anything I can do to fix this problem or determine whether the problem is the motherboard or the graphics card? The motherboard is the ASRock B75M-DGS.

XYMan

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
It's never a motherboard problem, and hardly a graphics card problem. Power problems = Power Supply problems. First, how much watts is your PSU? Second, if you're sure it's more than enough to run your PC then it must be a defective unit, return it from where you ordered it and ask for a new one.

mikeduf125

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

Its an xfx 550w pro edition. Definitely could be defective or underpowered I'm going to disconnect my fans and drives and see if that will free up the necessary power to run the GPU.

mikeduf125

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

I unplugged all the drives and fans and it still wouldn't stay booted someone suggested updating the bios, not sure if that will make any difference but I'm going to try.