ASUS GTX 660 top edition won't work.

mikeduf125

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
So whenever my graphics card (asus gtx 660) is plugged into my motherboard and I try and turn the computer on everything boots up for a second then off. It then continues to do this until I manually cut the power. I know the psu isnt the problem as the computer works when the 6 pin is plugged into the card and the card even displays a green light. It seems as though the card is shorting out and causing the psu to restart. Although it's probably hopeless is there anything I can do to fix this problem or determine whether the problem is the motherboard or the graphics card? The motherboard is the ASRock B75M-DGS.

samb_ch

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
your PSU ok too...

Have u try BIOS update yet? because when your motherboard release there are no gtx660.

and do u see any post messages shown?

or test on other motherboard to make sure the problem cause from it.

mikeduf125

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

unfortunately I don't have access to another motherboard but it posts fine when the graphics card isnt in, i'm going to try updating my bios and see if that works.

XYMan

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
I had this exact problem before mate, it turned out my PSU was defected, it's an 850w PSU but it couldn't deliver more than 400w so I had it replaced and not a single power outage since then. I would try a BIOS update but I wouldn't rely on it, power surges are usually caused by, you guessed it, the POWER supply. Contact the power supply manufacturer and ask for a replacement.

mikeduf125

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

thanks for the help, I will do that. I tried the bios update and still nothing. I also unplugged all the fans and drives and then tried the graphics card and it still wouldn't work. The weird thing is it boots up fine when the 6 pin is plugged into the card but as soon as I put it into the express slot nothing.