Am I choking my GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

chavez1311

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Hello I am having a very frustrating problem! I am getting only 30-40 fps on Mass Effect 1.
Here are my specs.

Cpu: AMD A4-3400, Stock ghz 2.7
GPU: MSI GTX 650 Ti
RAM: DDR3 2 x 4GB corsair, 1333 mhz
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-A55M-DS2

I run most games at 1920x1080 I also have this problem with all other games as well such as Hawken, Planet Side 2, Dues Ex, Ghost Recon online, basically all I games I play I am getting low frames for this GPU. Usual CPU usage is 100% while in game with 30-50% GPU usage.

So like the title says am I actually bottlenecking my GPU this bad? Or is something else to blame? :(

If I am bottlenecking what do I ABSOLUTELY NEED AND NO MORE to use all of my GPU?

Solution
Its the CPU bottle necking your graphics card, it is not strong enough

The problem is that the a4 is a quad core and based on an older architecture
I runto a similar issue with my quad core n930 laptop with the 5650m

Your CPU performance is similar to the k10 phenom ii x2

This is crysis 3 but holds true for most new games

CPU_03.png

Here is deus ex
even with the same gpu and graphics settings, stronger cpus can get a lot more fps
CPU_02.png

chavez1311

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Also I am able to get full 100% usage of my GPU when benchmarking it and I have seen huge increases in performance from my previous card 7770 HD WITHIN the benchmarking program as well. Although I suffer this problem with both cards when I play any game.

yamman101

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
The 100% it's a CPU issue. Most modern systems with a good CPU and GPU, the GPU is the component being taxed the greatest e.g. the GPU is running at 100% in games, whilst the CPU is sitting around 40-50%, if that.

Its the CPU bottle necking your graphics card, it is not strong enough

The problem is that the a4 is a quad core and based on an older architecture
I runto a similar issue with my quad core n930 laptop with the 5650m

Your CPU performance is similar to the k10 phenom ii x2

This is crysis 3 but holds true for most new games

CPU_03.png

Here is deus ex
even with the same gpu and graphics settings, stronger cpus can get a lot more fps
CPU_02.png

Solution

That will reduce his bottleneck for sure but still, looking at the Phenom II which is 3.3ghz and similar arch, he may still run into significant issues

Roughly speaking, with your cpu currently @100%, you will need a very good OC [maybe even a 50% one] to get you gpu to 75%+

chavez1311

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Thank you everyone who has posted! This has been very informative! I think unfortunately I will be returning the GPU and purchasing a better CPU seeing how even a High end GPU cannot pull my system out from the gutter.

Also is my RAM okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.