Your question

Low FPS GTX 680

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Gtx
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 1, 2013 2:33:51 AM

Hey Folks, I just upgraded mu GPU from a GTX 560 and I'm a little sad because there is no improvement. In fact there is actually a slight degradation.

I am only getting about 28 average FPS in some of the games I play like Tera, Hawken, Planet Side 2 and Mech Warrior online.

I'm running the latest drivers from Nvidia's site. I thought I had a halfway decent build but I'm not sure what is going on. Any help is appreciated.

Here are my specs

Windows: Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (64-bit) Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Memory (RAM): 8192 MB
CPU Info: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor
CPU Speed: 3013.3 MHz
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
Monitors: 2x; Generic PnP Monitor
Screen Resolution: 1920 X 1080 - 32 bit
Motherboard *: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3

More about : low fps gtx 680

March 1, 2013 2:39:32 AM

Looks like the CPU is a bottleneck. Open Task Manager, go to performance, go into any game you want, play a little, let the CPU and GPU do some work and immediately alt tab out of the game and see the charts in the performance tab. If the CPU was hitting a 100% then the CPU is the bottleneck. Just don't test this method on Planetside 2 because it's such a CPU intensive game anyway and it will max out any CPU you throw at it.
Report back your results for a free cookie.
m
l
March 1, 2013 3:11:05 AM

XYMan said:
Looks like the CPU is a bottleneck. Open Task Manager, go to performance, go into any game you want, play a little, let the CPU and GPU do some work and immediately alt tab out of the game and see the charts in the performance tab. If the CPU was hitting a 100% then the CPU is the bottleneck. Just don't test this method on Planetside 2 because it's such a CPU intensive game anyway and it will max out any CPU you throw at it.

Ok so I don't think is the CPU cause I had the performance manager running on my second monitor as I was playing the games and here are the results.

Hawken
60 FPS
65% CPU usage
60% GPU usage

Mech Warrior Online
31 ish FPS
70% CPU usage
45% GPU usage

Tera
35 FPS
60% CPU Usage
35% GPU usage

Not sure WTF happened with Hawken but it looks beautiful now. So I'm stumped as all get out....

I can has cookie now?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 1, 2013 4:32:44 AM

XYMan said:

So it was the CPU....... Over clocked it to 3.5 using the Auto tune function in the BiOS and also disabled Cool'nQuiet. Getting about 50- 60 fps. CPU temp maxed out at 42c in Mech warrior Online. Im just using the stock fan.
m
l
March 1, 2013 4:57:47 AM

Glad you figured out the issue. Now that you know that the CPU is the issue I would seriously think about upgrading. You will get sooo much more performance from you 680 if you get a new 3570k or 8350, around 20-30 fps improvement.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 1, 2013 5:02:40 AM

cpu bottleneck for sure. An fx6300 would be a good cheap upgrade, but will still bottleneck that card in some situations.
m
l
!