Random blocks occasionally appearing with HD 7870.

Dragonzeanse

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
I am currently having an issue with my graphics card where black blocks occasionally display when I am loading a browser page - though only occasionally. White blocks appear every time I open a File tab in Notepad++ while the application is fullscreened, which disappear after the menu turned opaque. Strangely, this artifacting doesn't occur in games. It almost looks like screen tearing, but I doubt it's that because of the nature of the "tearing." Worth noting is a diagonal cutoff of sorts that appears when enough blocks do.

My monitor is an ASUS VS248H-P (24" monitor with 2ms delay) plugged into a DVI-D input. The GPU I use is a Radeon HD 7870 manufactured by PowerColor. I have attempted to use the HDMI input on this card, only for the issue to persist. This isn't a major issue, but it's irritating to look at.

Things I've done to troubleshoot this issue: Used an HDMI input, used the second DVI-D input on the GPU, reinstalled drivers, restarted computer, allowed GPU to cool down, dusted out computer.

DiaSin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
That sounds similiar to the issue one of my friends had with his 7970.. Except his was ingame. The conclusion was that it was faulty memory on the card and it was RMA'd.

Its definitely not the monitor, I have the same one with zero issues.

Dragonzeanse

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013

Knowing that I'll probably get flak for this - or at the least, some dirty looks - I ordered this computer through CyberpowerPC to save myself the hassle of putting the parts together myself, since the price was basically the same (last time I do that, I tell you). I'll have to ask about their warranty. But it seems that the consensus is that this card is faulty - still functional, but faulty.

I suppose this could be a possibility too. I know it's a 7870 GHz Edition, but I'm not sure what that means for clock speed. Perhaps it's overheating because it's functioning outside of default settings. I'll check that, thank you.