Sign in with
Your question

Boost an open wifi signal

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 20, 2012 12:54:05 PM

I just moved into an apartment that has free wifi. I am in the corner of the building so I get very weak signal and sometimes none at all. I want to boost the available signal and have it re-transmitted wirelessly. I have started looking into repeaters and other things and I came across this...
http://www.amazon.com/review/R2HX0UZR4FSZHI/ref=cm_srch...

It looks like you have to be tethered to this thing via USB, I am hoping for wireless re-broadcast of signal.

One reviewer says it has router capabilities... does anyone have any suggestions?

More about : boost open wifi signal

March 20, 2012 11:55:42 PM

That is simply a wireless NIC that you attach to your computer. It may pick up the signal a little better or it may not. It might be able to act as a repeater, however you need to connect it to a computer to do so and that set up is likely to be outside of your apartment which opens up numerous issues. I have one and I like it as it has the correct chipset for many security applications, but I would suggest it is not what you are after (and I have never tried to use it as a repeater). If it was, and you were able to use it in your apartment as such, then there are simpler solutions such as moving your equipment (i.e. if you use it as a repeater in your apartment you are unlikely to get any better signal than simply putting your equipment where the repeater is).

You might want to discuss the buildings free WiFi with the body corporate to have them place repeaters at their cost and so they can manage the physical security for those devices.
m
l
!