Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Advice on PSU and Video Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 1, 2013 2:05:18 PM

Hello

I need some help in upgrading my video card for a better gaming experience. I currently have a HP pavilion p6230y Desktop PC, with a HD 4200 Radeon card, with 300watt supply.

The games i will be playing will be Heart of the Swarm (expansion for starcraft 2), and wow mists of pandaria. I have read that the HD 6570 and HD 6670 will be good replacement choices for my current card, and that although they recommend a 400watt PSU they will run on a 300watt supply fine cause they don't use as much as required.

So my question to you computer savvy guys, are what video cards would you recommend for my desktop, or what PSU would you recommend as well as a video card to go with. My budget is around $130 and i plan on getting these accessories at http://www.tigerdirect.ca/ as i am in Ontario Canada. I just need high settings and not ultra settings on my graphics. If i have to pay a lil more to get something really worth it then i will i guess, cause i really wanna enjoy these games. Suggestions to other websites are also welcome.

Thanks



More about : advice psu video card

a c 261 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 1, 2013 2:17:17 PM

The 7750 is about the strongest card that does not need an auxiliary 6 pin power adapter.
It is stronger than the 6570 or 6670.
It is $110 : http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

The 7xxx series is built on a newer 28nm process and does not need so much power and cooling as previous generations.
Score
0
March 1, 2013 5:35:37 PM

geofelt said:
The 7750 is about the strongest card that does not need an auxiliary 6 pin power adapter.
It is stronger than the 6570 or 6670.
It is $110 : http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

The 7xxx series is built on a newer 28nm process and does not need so much power and cooling as previous generations.


I just checked out that card and it seems to be a really good card, however i am really worried about the 450watt requirement. I opened up my desktop to get some more info on my current PSU, here is the info hope it helps
Output
300w max
+12V / 19A -12V / 0.8A
+5V / 25A +5VSB 2A
+3.3V / 18A

+5V & +3.3V 175W max +5V & +12V 268W max.

I know you probably don't need all that info but i just wanna make sure i don't fry my components which i read in another thread could happen.

Thanks again
Score
0
Related resources
March 1, 2013 5:38:01 PM

Also can some more people give input please.
Score
0
March 1, 2013 6:10:23 PM

For even low-middle range Graphics cards you will probably need to upgrade your PSU, at least to 500w.

My 5770 (has 1gb vram) that im replacing required 450w PSU, and that thing is almost 3 years old. You definitely dont want to be BELOW the PSU requirement, if it would even have the plugs for it..
Score
0
a c 261 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 1, 2013 6:44:42 PM

A cheap psu will not have adequate protection circuitry and should be replaced.
If you can find a brand and model number, we might know a little better.

Regardless, you can replace it with a decent quality Corsair CX430 that will run a card as good as a 7770 or GTX650ti.
Currently on sale for $25 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
March 1, 2013 7:08:20 PM

power usage:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_7750_iCooler/...

So basically under load you looking around 46w, PciE spec is 60w-75w depending if its 1.0 or higher. Also long as your PSU can deliever the PCIe spec power output to the PCIe slot your fine.
Score
0
March 1, 2013 7:44:00 PM

geofelt said:
A cheap psu will not have adequate protection circuitry and should be replaced.
If you can find a brand and model number, we might know a little better.

Regardless, you can replace it with a decent quality Corsair CX430 that will run a card as good as a 7770 or GTX650ti.
Currently on sale for $25 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Okay i found this one, its about 20 bucks cheaper: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

Will that one do, if not ill most likely go with the Corsair CX430 that you recommended.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 261 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 1, 2013 8:10:28 PM

Daimyo13 said:
Okay i found this one, its about 20 bucks cheaper: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

Will that one do, if not ill most likely go with the Corsair CX430 that you recommended.


I would not. Thermaltake pure power, depending on the exact model, is a tier 4/5(not recommended psu on this list. That is why it is so cheap:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Share
March 1, 2013 8:26:26 PM

Best answer selected by Daimyo13.
Score
0
March 1, 2013 8:27:49 PM

geofelt said:
I would not. Thermaltake pure power, depending on the exact model, is a tier 4/5(not recommended psu on this list. That is why it is so cheap:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx


okay CX430 it is then, thanks a lot man.
Score
0
!