Sign in with
Your question

W2k boot process slow

Last response: in Storage
April 4, 2002 12:29:11 PM

I have a 60GB IBM Hard drive, an ASUS A7v motherboard and am running Win 2000 Professional. Win 2000 takes a long time to boot.
See "Long Pause During Windows 2000 Startup Process" on Microsofts knowledgebase.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to speed up the boot process?

More about : w2k boot process slow

April 4, 2002 2:01:15 PM

May be Win2K cannot find some HW component.
Do you have a "fresh" Windows installation ?
How long is the startup process ? It normally may take about 30 s to 1 minute.
You may try to move the card installed on the PCI bus to other slots. As you can see from the A7V user manual some PCI slots share the same interrupt. If you use the same interrupt for two devices, Windows may slow the start-up process. Also in the Bios go in the last section and chose PnP OS. Set Yes or No depending on what choice gives you the best results. This option is related on the possibility to let the BIOS or Windows to set the correct interrupt for each device.
You should also check in My computer/property (right button)/hardware if there is some device not correctly installed.
Under normal conditions the start-up of a fresh installation should be a question of about 30 seconds.
April 8, 2002 10:55:10 AM

Hi unoc
Thanks for the reply.
My system is a fresh Win2k install. it takes close on 5 minuts to boot up. I have had a closer look at my hardware and the cable says its udma66.
I have been unable to setup my hd with the cable in the udma100 socket as the disk is not recognised.
I will see if I can get a udma100 cable and see if this helps. I also had a look for PnP OS. where exactly in the bios is it?
Related resources
April 8, 2002 2:27:08 PM

Do you have a lan card installed? if conigured incorectly they can cause a delay during boot, as for the cable, a 66 and a 100 cable are the same.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
April 8, 2002 4:40:41 PM

thatty linky no goody!

If it aint broke don't fix it, just tweak it instead!
April 8, 2002 7:55:23 PM

Just double-checked it, and it's working fine. Check your hosts file, perhaps. I'm not sure why it's not working for you. :frown:

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
April 9, 2002 12:43:01 AM

Oh ok, still not doing it for me, I hate that when it happens.
Thanks anyway

If it aint broke don't fix it, just tweak it instead!
April 9, 2002 8:21:54 AM

I do have a lan card installed but even after disabling it, the boot time is terrible.

If you melt dry ice, can you swim in it without getting wet?
April 9, 2002 8:26:59 AM

I had this problem with a WD hard drive, and oddly enough, changing its jumper setting to cable select fixed the speed issue. You might wanna try that with your hard drive, just for kicks...

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red>
April 10, 2002 8:38:21 AM

Thanks for the reply btvillarin

I tried setting it to cable select and I also removed the network card.That didnt speed it up.

Does anyone know of any info on how to set up a UDMA drive?
I have:
an Asus A7v board with onboard promise chipset.
an IBM Deskstar 60 GB and ATA66 cable

When the cable is plugged into the onboard ATA100 primary slot I get the message
Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter

Does anyone have any detailed info on how to set up disk using ATA 100?
What is promise' website?

Is it possible to set the boot log to display the start time of each process\service? So I can determine which processes\services are taking all the time.

April 10, 2002 4:11:31 PM

To answer a previous question of yours, in the BIOS, PnP OS is under the Boot menu. I have mine set to "No".

Anyways, if it makes you feel any better, I had this very, <b>very</b> long pause when I was using Win2K (both Pro and Advanced Server). First, it took like a minute when booting up. It was like waiting at the dialog "Registering Network Connections". I'm not sure if that's exactly what it was saying, but I think that's it. That's why I'm back in Windows XP.

When you're talking about the Onboard Promise chipset, is that the onboard RAID? How come your hard drive isn't plugged into a regular IDE slot?

Do you have the latest BIOS, too? Maybe there's a bug in one of the older ones that you need to flash to fix.

If you have the HD plugged into the Promise slots, make sure these things are enabled in the BIOS:
Load Onboard ATA BIOS: Auto
SCSI/ATA100 Boot Sequence: ATA100/SCSI
Other Boot Device: SCSI/Onboard ATA Boot Device
(These are all in the Boot menu...)

Make sure the order is also the way you want it.

Lastly, use the drivers from the Asus website for your <A HREF="http://usa.asus.com/mb/socketa/a7v/overview.htm" target="_new">A7V motherboard</A>. Don't use the ones from Promise, because those are meant for the PCI card-version of the Promise RAID cards...

April 10, 2002 4:42:02 PM

Quote:
First, it took like a minute when booting up. It was like waiting at the dialog "Registering Network Connections".

RESTORING network connections I think you mean, due to incorrectly configured network on 2k server/adv server. One instance where it can happen is if it is a domain controller and is looking for another dc that has since been removed from the network,

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
April 10, 2002 8:09:32 PM

I know this post was to help private1, but can you help me out with this, too? What did I do wrong? I mean, I was never in a network to begin with. If you can help me out, I'll probably go back with Win2K (Pro).

Thanks, Calv!

April 10, 2002 8:30:40 PM

A7V has an onboard promise ULTRA100 controller. The bios sees this controller as a SCSI controller (see the option on boot devices). The IBM 60GXP is an UDMA 100 drive but you can use it on IDE channel (UDMA66) as well as on the Promise port (UDMA100).
Set the BIOS option as suggested by btvillarin. I also installed a A7V (W2K Pro). Yours MUST work fine if mine was able to manage a Fasttrack 100 RAID card together with the UltraDMA onboard controller even if also Promise support told me that it should be very difficult. If your system still have problem to recognize the hdd when installed on the ULTRADMA100 controller and your cable (80 wires) is OK you can check the MB jumper. Set all jumper to "jumper setting" without allowing to set the MB fetures (FSB frequency, multiplier, CPU voltage, etc..) by BIOS. If you still have problems, may be the onboard UDMA controller may be defective (do you see just after the Bios Post the bios loading procedures for the Promise controller ?) and causes the system to hang in order to recognize the controller.
Remember that you can boot from the Promise controller only if you connect a bootable hdd at the promise port and you enable to boot from the UDMA100 controller (recognized as a SCSI controller by the BIOS)from the BIOS setup
April 11, 2002 9:00:16 AM

Hi guys, thanks for all the suggestions.

btviallarin
The A7V mother board has primary and secondary ide as well as primary and secondary udma100 slots.
I am trying to get it to work with the udma100 slot, it works fine in the ide slot.
I will take a look at my bios, I have never flashed it so I dont think its the latest.
I'll follow your suggestions regarding the bios settings and let you know.

Is it possible to enable the boot log to display start times for processes that are enabled? Im still trying to track down the process that takes so long to start. My machine at work (different model) doenst take so long to boot.

Thanks guys

April 11, 2002 3:39:34 PM

<font color=green>Is it possible to enable the boot log to display start times for processes that are enabled? Im still trying to track down the process that takes so long to start. My machine at work (different model) doenst take so long to boot.</font color=green>

M$ has a utility BootVis, but it's only for Windows XP. Um...I'm looking into it, but also hoping someone will jump in and enlighten us all... :wink:

April 12, 2002 7:40:01 AM

btvillarin, thanks for the advice. My hd is now configured to use the udma slot.

Now all I wanna do is sort out the 4-5 minute boot. :-)

April 14, 2002 3:31:40 AM

*Phew* Glad that part of your problem is over. Now to attack the second part... :lol: 

Well, I did a search at <A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com" target="_new">Microsoft's support site</A>. These three articles that came up might be able to help you:

<A HREF="http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/viewDoc.aspx...;en-us;Q315396&dialogID=20513004&iterationID=1&sessionID=anonymous|19058874" target="_new">HOW TO: Troubleshoot Startup Problems in Windows 2000 (Q315396)</A>
<font color=green>This article describes general procedures that you can use to troubleshoot startup problems in Windows 2000. A successful Windows 2000 startup consists of the following four phases: Initial phase Boot loader phase...</font color=green>

<A HREF="http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/viewDoc.aspx...;en-us;Q318752&dialogID=20513004&iterationID=1&sessionID=anonymous|19058874" target="_new">HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows 2000 (Q318752)</A>
<font color=green>You can use the Windows Recovery Console to help recover a Windows-based computer that either does not start properly or does not start at all. If Safe mode and other startup options do not work, you may want to use the Recovery Console. This method...</font color=green>

<A HREF="http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/viewDoc.aspx...;en-us;Q320040&dialogID=20513004&iterationID=1&sessionID=anonymous|19058874" target="_new">HOW TO: Use Ntdetect.chk to Identify Hardware Problems in Windows 2000 (Q320040)</A>
<font color=green>This step-by-step article describes how to use the debug version of Ntdetect.com (Ntdetect.chk) to help you to identify hardware problems that may prevent your computer from starting. If you are experiencing problems starting your computer...</font color=green>

April 16, 2002 7:54:27 AM

btvillarin,

These articles look good. I'll go through them and let you know.
Thanks for everything.

April 16, 2002 4:11:04 PM

No problem, private. We'll be waiting...

April 16, 2002 6:18:08 PM

I didn't see this question asked or answered above - is the UDMA100 configured as UDMA100 or RAID? There is a jumper on the Mobo that must be set correctly or it will assume you want to setup a RAID array. This could cause slow boots.

In addition, you should be using the very last connector on the ATA66/100 cable - not the middle one - for your drive. The slave device should go in the middle.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ath0mps0 on 04/16/02 11:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 17, 2002 6:07:18 AM

Good observation! I forgot about that. I hope he got this, too. :eek: 

April 17, 2002 7:48:42 AM

I'll have a look.
I dont know whether its configured for Raid or udma100.

I do think the problem is with the W2k configuration cause the w2k logo screen comes up the status bar gets to about the ninth block and pauses for 1-2 minutes.

Also does udma100 prevent booting in safe mode?

April 22, 2002 8:28:19 AM

I think I may have found why my system is so slow to startup. I have 7 devices sharing irq 9

[Conflicts/Sharing]

Resource Device
IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
IRQ 9 ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON
IRQ 9 VIA USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 9 VIA USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 9 Creative SB Live! (WDM)
IRQ 9 NETGEAR FA311 Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter
IRQ 9 Win2000 Promise Ultra100 (tm) IDE Controller (PDC20265)

Is it safe to move devices from the irq, which ones should I move?

April 22, 2002 11:25:55 AM

Anytime your system uses ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) instead of the older PnP it will assign all (or most) of the devices to the same IRQ. This is normal - you can possibly change which IRQ is used by changing the assignment order in CMOS. Don't just turn off ACPI or you'll most likely have to re-load WinXP - check your computer type in Device Manager.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.
!